1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My chicken had a high fever and the vet gave me an antibiotic but she is just lying around and it ha

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Baygirl, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Baygirl

Baygirl Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2013
    I have a golden buff. She was fine last Wednesday morning and then in the afternoon she as lying on the floor of the coop with her wings spread out. I took her to the vet and she had a high fever 107. The vet gave her an antibiotic shot and then gave me pills to give her. It has been 5 days now and she will walk some but really not eating much and not drinking a lot of water. I have been using a syringe to give her water so that I know she is getting some water. Has anyone ever had this happen? I have looked over the diseases and she really doesn't seem to have all the signs of the ones I have read. HELP!!! Thanks Baygirl

2. madicakes

madicakes Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm sorry to hear about your girl. I don't have an answer for you, but I just wanted to say that you might want to post this, or have this moved, to the Emergencies/Diseases forum. You will probably get more views/answers there.

3. Baygirl

Sep 22, 2013
    Thanks!! Just moved it to the Emergencies forum.

4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Did the vet do anything to try to figure out why she has a fever? Did he give sub-Q fluids? Take an x-ray? Being dehydrated is a big problem and makes birds feel crummy. But you need to know what the underlying problem is that caused all this in the first place. She may have a serious problem that simply giving antibiotic's is not going to solve.

5. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    107 is not necessarily a high temp,poultry have normal rectal temps in the range of 105-107 and even up to 109 can still be considered normal,temps are different at various times of day. Birds are homeothermic,so there is no absolute body temp.

Did vet check for crop issues,any swollen abdomen?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  6. Baygirl

Sep 22, 2013
    He didn't give her any fluids or do an x ray but I wish now he had. We only have one vet in our area and he does the best he can. He checked to see if she was egg bound and she wasn't . I think I will take her back tomorrow to see what he can do. Because really I don't have a clue as to what she has.

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    You can ask them to show you how to tube feed and give fluids.

-Kathy

8. Baygirl

Sep 22, 2013
    I didn't know that 107 wasn't high. He said it was so I figured it was high. He did check her all over but really didn't know what was going on with her.

Thanks! Baygirl

9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Seen lots of 107's here... I don't worry unless they feel cool.

-Kathy

10. Baygirl

Sep 22, 2013
    I took my girl back to the vet on Wednesday. The vet did 4 x rays. One of each of her legs and one of her each of her hips. Nothing broken, none showing anything wrong. She won't put any weight on her left leg. I am giving her water and forcing the food. She seemed to stand up a little more today but she doesn't do it for long. This afternoon I started another antibiotic and something for pain to see if something will work.

Has anyone ever had this problem?

Thanks Baygirl

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by