*My Chicken Had Lice And Is Acting Weird!!*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mwing14, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Mwing14

Mwing14 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2012
    Arizona.
    I have a 9 month old Silkie rooster who has been acting very strange. Let me start from yhe begining. About a month ago he got pooped on by one of the other chicken, that same day he started drooping his head and putting it under his legs. At first I thought it was wry neck but after I cleaned him up he was fine lifting his head walking around. so I put him back with yhe others and he was fine. However a week later it started happening again. He kept his head under his chest and would walk backwards. I brought him inside and noticed bugs all over him and realized it was lice so i gotsome powder andthe lice is now completety gone. However he's still putting his head under his chest but ive noticed when he puts his head under his chest he seems to be kind of biting it. Also when he "bites" it there are little white flakes like dead skin cells all around him. I'm thinking maybe he's itchy from yhe lice he had. Right now i have him in my room because when I put him with the flock yhe other roosters are mean to him. Also none ofthe other chickens got the lice or acting the way he is. If you have any advise or if you yhink im right about him being itchy is there like an anti itch thing i could get him please let me know thank you! Another thing he still eats, drinks, and his poop is solid.

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    He could still have the lice or mites. When one chicken has it, act like they all have it. Dust everything in the coop, every crack, then dust all the chickens. Some mites don't live of the chicken but in the coop and feed off of the chickens at night. He also might have the eggs (nits) from the lice still on him. These will hatch and will start the problem all over again. Make sure they are completely gone.

3. Mwing14

Mwing14 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2012
    Arizona.
    Okay thank you. I alreadydusted their coop but ill try redusting him again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by