My chicken has a hurt eye

Easttexfoghorn

Hatching
Sep 13, 2022
1663094790802.jpeg
Hello. My chicken has an issue with her eye. I am not sure if she got pecked or what. I have been treating her with some antibiotic spray that I apply with a q-tip but it keeps getting larger. She is eating and drinking and alert. I just worry it will get worse and don’t want her to suffer if it did get worse. Any thoughts on what to do? Thank you

How old is she? Can you get a clearer picture? Do you see any bubbles/foam in the eye, drainage from nostrils, sneezing, or lethargy? Have you got mosquitoes about right now who could be spredding fowl pox? If you cannot see her eye, use a warm wet compress held to the eye for a few minutes to soften the crust, and open the eye to look for anything in it. I would use some Terramycin eye ointment or plain Neosporin in it 2-3 times a day. Rinse it with saline or eye wash if there is gunk in the eye.

Here are 2 images from 2 days prior. I am not sure how old. Pullits is all I know. Sorry. Yes we have mosquitos bad right now. No she is not sneezing or lethargic. Acts as normal as she can being alone in a big box. Eating and drinking. That is what we thought, to get someone warm and loosen up that scab and remove it so it can drain but I was not sure how much pain that would cause.

Attachments

• 1062694D-85BF-4EB4-9060-CBA4687E55E2.jpeg
    1062694D-85BF-4EB4-9060-CBA4687E55E2.jpeg
    369.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 8D493EEE-DB4F-400D-BBC5-BF86F0AA0985.jpeg
    8D493EEE-DB4F-400D-BBC5-BF86F0AA0985.jpeg
    362.4 KB · Views: 1
Bubbles in the eye and swollen eyelids can be from a respiratory disease called mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG.) The scab could be from pecking if she has been sleepy, or because of her swollen eyelid. If mosquitoes have caused the scab, and you notice any other possible fowl pox scabs, those should be left alone. You can paint Betadine on them to help dry them out, but don’t get it in the eye. If you see not other scabs that look like fowl pox on her or other chickens, it is probably just a peck wound. Plain Neosporin ointment can be applied twice a day, and will not hurt the eyes.

Certain antibiotics such as Tylan 50 from a feed store, Tylosin powder put in the water (found online,) Baytril, or oxytetracycline are some that may treat symptoms of MG. MG is a contagious chronic respiratory disease that is spread by a carrier, and also can pass through hatching eggs. Here is a good article on MG:
https://extension.umd.edu/sites/ext... Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) Infecti....pdf

Back
Top Bottom