1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Chicken has a plugged nostril

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kate1234, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Kate1234

Kate1234 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2016
    My Chicken has a badly plugged nostril. The nostril is now huge. I was shocked when I saw it. It is a solid mass like a rock but not a rock. It won't budge. How do I help her. Oh course she's my favorite. Help. Kate

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Get a warm wet wash cloth and apply a warm compress to her nostril while you hold her for ten minutes. Then use some QTips and hydrogen peroxide, and drip some onto the nostril to soften it further, then use a toothpick to dig it out. This may need to be repeated. This is rather common, and is usually from feed getting stuck.

1 person likes this.
  3. Kate1234

Kate1234 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2016
    Thank you, I have been trying this method but it won't soften up. The 1st try I soaked off & on for about a half hour, did peroxide, the tooth pick. It wouldn't even make a scratch. I'll keep trying, looks bad & uncomfortable not to mention she can't breathe. It just won't budge, it's like rock. Kate

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It might be time to try a vet. This sort of thing is rather common, but there could be something else going on in the nostril.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by