My chicken has a problem and it won’t go away

4Dobermans

Songster
May 24, 2020
Prescott,Az
She is a leghorn and about 3-4 years old. The bumblefoot swelled up as a lump one day inbetween her toes. We took her to a vet as soon as we noticed , the doctor says she opened it up with a hole punch and cleaned it out on the bottom but then it swelled up again. She has been going to another doctor for a few weeks now and the doctor gave us some pain meds and cephalexin. She has been on the med for weeks and it’s not getting better. Every time we go she pokes holes into it but won’t cut it open because she says she can’t without putting her on anesthesia but I can’t do that because I have read that could kill her. This bird is a beloved family pet and we really don’t want to lose her. She has had the bumble foot for about 2-3 months but every time someone pokes it, it swells right back up.
can someone please help on how to get her better?

She is a leghorn and about 3-4 years old. The bumblefoot swelled up as a lump one day inbetween her toes. We took her to a vet as soon as we noticed , the doctor says she opened it up with a hole punch and cleaned it out on the bottom but then it swelled up again. She has been going to another doctor for a few weeks now and the doctor gave us some pain meds and cephalexin. She has been on the med for weeks and it’s not getting better. Every time we go she pokes holes into it but won’t cut it open because she says she can’t without putting her on anesthesia but I can’t do that because I have read that could kill her. This bird is a beloved family pet and we really don’t want to lose her. She has had the bumble foot for about 2-3 months but every time someone pokes it, it swells right back up.
can someone please help on how to get her better?
I’m so sorry your going through this I wish I could help . I hope your hen gets better soon :hugs

Do you mind posting a picture so we can know what we are dealing with?
image.jpg

Soak her foot in a warm epson salt bath for a minimum of 10 minutes to help soften the skin. Pry off the scab which should look like a brown/black dot on the underside of the foot. Try and squeeze out any pus or gunk there might be in the wound. Once that is done apply some Neosporin or other non-medicated wound cream over the area where you pried off the scab. Try and do this every 2-3 days and keep the wound nice and clean.

Soak her foot in a warm epson salt bath for a minimum of 10 minutes to help soften the skin. Pry off the scab which should look like a brown/black dot on the underside of the foot. Try and squeeze out any pus or gunk there might be in the wound. Once that is done apply some Neosporin or other non-medicated wound cream over the area where you pried off the scab. Try and do this every 2-3 days and keep the wound nice and clean.
We have tried to do that multiple times but the big part is on the top. My other ones have the black scabs on their feet too but they haven’t swollen up yet. We have opened up the other ones too and used vetracyn and Silver sulfadiazine 1% cream. It just keeps coming back and on 2 chickens there skin was so thick I couldn’t get in there really. The first vet opened up the bottom but that didn’t help really. I have two options, either I open it up like on those videos with a razor blade or she goes to a different vet again.

Continue on doing what you are doing for the other hens as this will help prevent it from reaching this size. Meanwhile I'll tag a few others who might be able to help you better @Wyorp Rock @azygous @Eggcessive
Thank you. I don’t want to cause them pain but I don’t want them to die either. However when I do it my mother thinks they are going to bleed out so she freaks. It would take ALOT of blood for them to die of blood loss, wouldn’t it?

Back
Top Bottom