My chicken has a strange soft lump on the side of her foot! Please help!

Back_the_chicken

In the Brooder
May 12, 2018
My chicken has a strange soft lump on the side of her foot, she’s limping a lot and one of her wings is hanging to the side that has the lump on her foot. I have to hand feed her or I don’t think she eats because all I see her doing is laying on the ground. Her crown is also very pale and she’s losing her feathers. Please help I love her very much.

7F02C37D-702E-4984-896D-5AB063F8D49A.jpeg

38883F3D-F4B8-46F7-A590-7C763CA13871.jpeg
86362164-721C-4843-B1D6-332D095B4D6E.jpeg
6406F232-6E16-4633-BBCC-15D88E9663F5.jpeg
Here’s some pictures

Poor thing. That looks painful and I’m afraid she looks a little unwell with her comb starting to fade and flop. Did it come on suddenly? Did you check the bottom of her foot for an injury or black scab? (That would indicate bumblefoot.) It looks like she has an infection of some kind in her foot, or possibly gout? There is another chicken foot issue that can look a bit like that, but I’ve only come across it on the forums once and can’t remember what it is. I hope some others can help with his one, as I fear if it is an infection, it might be on the brink of overwhelming her and going septic.
@Eggcessive @rebrascora @casportpony @dawg53 @aart @Wyorp Rock

How long has lump been there?
How old is bird?
Is she laying?
What and how exactly are you feeding?
Where in the world are you, is it spring or fall where you are?
Have you checked her over for external parasites?

Poor thing. That looks painful and I’m afraid she looks a little unwell with her comb starting to fade and flop. Did it come on suddenly? Did you check the bottom of her foot for an injury or black scab? (That would indicate bumblefoot.) It looks like she has an infection of some kind in her foot, or possibly gout? There is another chicken foot issue that can look a bit like that, but I’ve only come across it on the forums once and can’t remember what it is. I hope some others can help with his one, as I fear if it is an infection, it might be on the brink of overwhelming her and going septic.
@Eggcessive @rebrascora @casportpony @dawg53 @aart @Wyorp Rock
I’ll try and check for bumble foot but she’s pretty skiddish and doesn’t really like people touching her. I don’t know what to do though and I feel so bad for her so do you think there’s anything I can put on it to ease the pain?

How long has lump been there?
How old is bird?
Is she laying?
What and how exactly are you feeding?
Where in the world are you, is it spring or fall where you are?
Have you checked her over for external parasites?
1) I just noticed the bump today but she’s looked sick for about 6 weeks
2) she’s 3 I think
3)no she’s not laying
4)I’m feeding her laying feed from my local feed store (the rest of the birds same breed and age are fine with it)
4)I’m in Canada and it’s spring
5) no I have not checked for parasites she’s very skiddish so it’s hard to pick her up and hold her

I would look ate an injury or sprain, bumblefoot infection, or a bacterial joint infection such as mycoplasma synovitis as possibilities. Is she starting a molt? A picture of her foot pad for scabs would be good to see.
It’s not bumble footy checked, I think it’s gout do you know how to fix it

Back
Top Bottom