My chicken has a swelled face and goopy eye

Victoria H

In the Brooder
Sep 11, 2016
Dacre Ontario
Hello, I've have my chickens for many months now and are in with my ducks, there cages are always clean and always have fresh food and water, resently my favourite black chicken has a half swolen face(only one side) and on that side there is goop like a yellowish green and over the couple days it has gotten much worse and it is causing him not to see out of the eye and the swelling has gotten worse. It smells really bad and I hope she's not in pain but I hope my other 30 some birds don't get it as well... does anyone know what this is and how I can treat it..? Thanks!!

Looks like possibly infectious coryza if you are seeing coughing, nasal drainage, or wheezing in addition to the eye. Eye infections from pecks or foreign bodies (dirt, seed pods) can also become infected with bacteria and swollen. You really need to separate him, and use some warm wet compresses on his eye for 10 minutes a few times. Wash his eye out with saline or clean water, and try to get all of the pus and infected material out of there. A little squeezing, some QTips, and even tweezers may be required. Then twice a day clean the eye and apply some Terramycin eye ointment or some plain bacitracin or neosporin ointment. If it is coryza, an oral antibiotic such as Tylan 50 injectable given by mouth, or Oxytetracycline in the water can be given. Here is some info about coryza:
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/82/infectious-coryza/
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/p...verview_of_infectious_coryza_in_chickens.html

Thank you very much this is extremely helpful she has been separated and I am starting with the wet cloth and cleaning out tonight I do not think it is coryza because there is no nasal drainage but I may be wrong I have looked at the links and are very useful. Thank you for the help!!
-Victoria

Hello I was wrong she does have nasal drainage so I think it is coryza.. and do u know if I can use polysporin instead of neosporin an if not do u know where I could get that and where do you find oxytetracycycline.

It might be easier to get Tylan 50 injectable, and use it orally twice a day. Dosage is 0.2 ml per pound of weight, so a 5 pound hen would get 1 ml, and it is given for 3-5 days. Both that and oxytetracycline or Duramycin may be found at feed stores until 2017. Mycoplasma or MG can look like coryza, and is also treated with the same medicines.

Back
Top Bottom