My chicken has a swollen eye but no respiratory symptoms

lmoomaw

Hatching
Sep 12, 2016
I'm new to backyard chickens but have read all the threads on the subject of a swollen eye I can find. She is eating and drinking well and have tried 5 applications of Terramycin eye cream with a slight reduction. In swelling. She is separated from the flock in a cage . The only other symptom I'm noticing is some greenish watery diarrhea . Any help you can give me would be great. I have tylan 50 on hand but wasn't sure if I should give the eye cream more time? Thanks in advance for your help!

Welcome to BYC @lmoomaw
frow.gif

Can you show us a pic? here is some info, is it like this? see link Baytril for Birds discussions: kathys example treatment post #30409 post #51528

@casportpony \

Posting pictures onto the BYC Forum from laptop/desktop HERE
Posting pictures from Cell/mobile HERE

I'm new to backyard chickens but have read all the threads on the subject of a swollen eye I can find. She is eating and drinking well and have tried 5 applications of Terramycin eye cream with a slight reduction. In swelling. She is separated from the flock in a cage . The only other symptom I'm noticing is some greenish watery diarrhea . Any help you can give me would be great. I have tylan 50 on hand but wasn't sure if I should give the eye cream more time? Thanks in advance for your help!
@lmoomaw , welcome to BYC!

What does the inside of the eyeball look like?

-Kathy

Last edited:
I couldn't get it open very far but what I could see was very red. I was able to wipe out some white stringy gunk with a warm cloth. She was not happy with me messing with it. She hasn't laid in probably 2 days and is sleeping a lot too.

I couldn't get it open very far but what I could see was very red. I was able to wipe out some white stringy gunk with a warm cloth. She was not happy with me messing with it. She hasn't laid in probably 2 days and is sleeping a lot too.

Can you take her to a vet?

-Kathy

I can't find one within 50 miles of me so I guess that isn't an option. I've called several places and they aren't even aware of any close by. This morning she has an odor and shaking her head a lot. But again still eating and drinking fine. I added electrolytes to the water . I'm leaning towards trying the Tylan . What would you do? Thanks

I can't find one within 50 miles of me so I guess that isn't an option. I've called several places and they aren't even aware of any close by. This morning she has an odor and shaking her head a lot. But again still eating and drinking fine. I added electrolytes to the water . I'm leaning towards trying the Tylan . What would you do? Thanks

I have Baytril, so that's what I would use.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom