My chicken has a swollen eye but no respiratory symptoms

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lmoomaw, Sep 12, 2016.

1. lmoomaw

lmoomaw New Egg

Sep 12, 2016
    I'm new to backyard chickens but have read all the threads on the subject of a swollen eye I can find. She is eating and drinking well and have tried 5 applications of Terramycin eye cream with a slight reduction. In swelling. She is separated from the flock in a cage . The only other symptom I'm noticing is some greenish watery diarrhea . Any help you can give me would be great. I have tylan 50 on hand but wasn't sure if I should give the eye cream more time? Thanks in advance for your help!

2. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
  3. lmoomaw

lmoomaw New Egg

Sep 12, 2016
    [​IMG]

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    @lmoomaw , welcome to BYC!

What does the inside of the eyeball look like?

-Kathy

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  5. lmoomaw

lmoomaw New Egg

Sep 12, 2016
    I couldn't get it open very far but what I could see was very red. I was able to wipe out some white stringy gunk with a warm cloth. She was not happy with me messing with it. She hasn't laid in probably 2 days and is sleeping a lot too.

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Can you take her to a vet?

-Kathy

7. lmoomaw

lmoomaw New Egg

Sep 12, 2016
    I can't find one within 50 miles of me so I guess that isn't an option. I've called several places and they aren't even aware of any close by. This morning she has an odor and shaking her head a lot. But again still eating and drinking fine. I added electrolytes to the water . I'm leaning towards trying the Tylan . What would you do? Thanks

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

I have Baytril, so that's what I would use.

-Kathy

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    And I would also get all of the pus out of her eye. :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by