My chicken has a swollen eye - please help! **pics**

McGoo

Crowing
14 Years
Sep 19, 2007
Mid Hudson River Valley, NY
Here are 2 photos - one of the good eye and one of the bad eye. Or is it the ear is swollen... it looks like the whole side of her head. Is it an ear infection?
idunno.gif

Gertiegoodeye-1.jpg
Gertiebadeye-1.jpg

is there any respiratory symptoms...any other symptoms that your bird is ill outside the swelling? If not it might simply be that some surface irritant is causing this and in that case you can use sterile saline (boil 1/4 tsp in one quart of water for five minutes>make fresh daily) and irrigate/flush the eye out well to try and remove any dust or such that might be in there.

There are many bacteria that can cause the problem you are looking at. I refer to it as "bullyeye", as it looks as if someone punched your birdie square in the eye.

You can get terramyacin ointment and put in it, or go to First State Vet Supply and get some eye drops from them. Another one I use is called Neo-Poly-Dex.

Good Luck,

Thanks all. There are no other signs of a problem. She's totally fine except for the swelling.

I ordered the terramycin ... and the neo-poly dex ... but in the meantime I'll try the saline solution.

Back
Top Bottom