My chicken has bad eyesight

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Peepchirpquack, Jan 10, 2015.

1. Peepchirpquack

Peepchirpquack Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2014
    Earth
    My ten month old easter egger hen seems to be having eyesight problems. Sometimes if I put one of her favorite treats right in front of her, she doesn't even acknowledge that it's there, and if she tries peck at a seed on the ground, she keeps missing.

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    People encounter all types of health issues and we do whatever it takes to have concerns corrected. We are humans. Our pets as well as livestock encounter abnormalities just the same. In the animal kingdom, the solution is natural selection. The strongest survive. Chickens don't have the ability to go and visit a doctor on their own. We try to take care of our flock the best we can. Veterinary visits are not for people on low budgets. Do your best to take care of your hen, and maybe the condition will improve on its own. BEST WISHES.

3. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    o.k. Chicken eyes basically work like this- right eye is for near vision, left eye for distance. If the cornea of the right eye is misshapen,(you will not be able to see that) it is not going to get better. Her brain can make some adjustment but, she will be most successful with a pile or bowl of food rather than a single item. If say, she has a peck injury then yes, it could get better. Like the other poster said, just do the best you can for her.[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Has she always had these problems, or is it new? Do you have a picture of her eye? Does her pupil react to light? There is a form of Mareks called occular mareks that affects the eye and causes blindness.

5. Peepchirpquack

Peepchirpquack Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2014
    Earth
    She is not blind, she just can't see as well as the other hens. Her eyes dialated but only slightly, but then again I don't know very much about chicken eyes. It doesn't seem like she ever saw quite as well as the other hens. She has big fluffy cheeks. Could that have something to do with it?.

[​IMG]

P.S. She is ten months old

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
  6. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    [​IMG]This is what ocular mareks looks like.

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    She looks fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by