My chicken has been bleeding.....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by [email protected], Oct 10, 2011.

1. Henwillbehens@

[email protected] Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2011
    NC
    My chicken is very small and has been bleeding lately from hen pecking cause she does not have many feathers because of malting .What can I do to help her?[​IMG]

2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Can you remove this hen from the others to protect her and clean her up?

3. Henwillbehens@

Oct 9, 2011
    NC
    I have cleaned her up but i put her back in with the others ,But i read putting Vaseline on her sores will make other chickens not peck her .Is that true?[​IMG]

4. heatherkh

heatherkh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Clackamas, Oregon
    If she has open and visible wounds, the other hens will keep picking. I don't know about straight Vaseline, but from advice I've read around here, it would be a good idea to put some Neosporin (plain, not the kind with pain relief) on the wounds and keep her separate until the wounds heal. Or, if you can't separate her and have access to Blu-Kote spray (available at most feed stores) - it's messy but it promotes wound healing and the blue coloring hides the red wound that attracts the other hens to pick.

You just want to make sure a) the wound doesn't get infected and b) the other hens don't keep picking at her so she has the space and time to heal.

If she's being hen pecked to the point of bleeding, you have another issues to deal with as well. Do your chickens have adequate space? Is there one hen that is the "bully" or is it more than one hen that is picking on her? There is a product called Pick-No-More that is supposed to discourage picking. I wouldn't use it on your hen while her wounds are still open, but once they heal up you might want to try it.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  5. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:This is great advice. [​IMG]

6. Henwillbehens@

Oct 9, 2011
    NC
    Thanks for the help she seems to of stopped bleeding ,But i do need to make more room for them to help stop the problem.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by