1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Chicken has bumps on her face around the eyes

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kathrynphyllis, Oct 12, 2016.

1. kathrynphyllis

kathrynphyllis Just Hatched

Jan 1, 2016
    California
    Hi my chicken has bumps around her eyes. She just sat and hatched 7 eggs. She is kind of lethargic but when I wash her head a bit and show her water she perks up a bit. I don't know what it is. Can anyone help identify the disease and advise? Also I don't k ow if I should take the babies out[​IMG]

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Fowl pox. It's a highly contagious virus. Get those babies away from her ASAP. Odds are that she's already passed it to them, though. And isolate her from the rest of the flock. There is nothing you can do to treat the fowl pox. It's viral, so antibiotics don't really do anything. But she will need supportive care. Electrolytes and vitamins in her water, keep her warm, and try to get her to eat something every few hours.

3. kathrynphyllis

Jan 1, 2016
    California
    Thank you for the information. I have her isolated and have been feeding her and getting vitamins in her. Will the babies make it if I remove them now?

4. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    If the babies are under 3 weeks old, they still need a heat source. Fowl pox is usually 100% fatal for chicks.

5. kathrynphyllis

Jan 1, 2016
    California
    Ok thank you!! Sad for the babies.

6. kathrynphyllis

Jan 1, 2016
    California
    How long does it usually last?

7. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    About 2 weeks, provided it's only the 'dry' pox form. If she's got lesions in her mouth, it's wet pox, too. Wet pox is particularly deadly, as it causes lesions through the entire respiratory system.
    You will also need to thoroughly disinfect everything that has come into contact with the hen, because even her dander is contagious.

8. kathrynphyllis

Jan 1, 2016
    California
    Ok. Should I clean everything with a bleach mixture?

9. kathrynphyllis

Jan 1, 2016
    California
    Thank you so much for the information. I really appreciate it!!

10. TolChicken

TolChicken New Egg

Nov 4, 2015
    Put tumeric in her food, Give her sav-a-chic electrolytes and colloidal silver I hope the advice helps alot [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by