My chicken has diarrhoea-not sure what to do

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Newchick26, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Newchick26

Newchick26 New Egg

Sep 8, 2011
    Hi all

Sorry for a very quick first post and not introdcuing myself elsewhere-i wll do that soon, just time poor atm

One of my chickens has diarrhoea. It is watery, nil blood or mucous in it though. She still seems to be eating and drinking and is still laying. Comb looks good too. Not sure if I should be worried about it or not?

Thanks!
    Nicole

2. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    Is it hot in your area?

3. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
  4. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Watery poop can be caused by drinking allot of water when it is hot as well as eating allot of treats like watermelon or.... I would not worry too much unless it continues for quite some time. Is it a clear type or is it unusual in some way? Got a pic?

5. Newchick26

Newchick26 New Egg

Sep 8, 2011
    Thanks for the replies so far! No it is not hot at the moment. It is actually raining today. The weather has been warmer, but no higher than about 28 degrees. I haven't taken a picture-might try to do that if it continues. It is a pale brown watery consistency. They haven't had any treats that are high water content lately. My helpful 3 yr old did decide the feed them a lot of yoghurt the other day, but only one chook has the diarrhoea so not sure if that would be the cause or not?

I have that poop chart thing on my favourites-thanks! It is a great chart!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by