My chicken has gotten really clingy, what's up?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lemurchaser, Jul 25, 2008.

1. lemurchaser

lemurchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    Corvallis, OR
    My chickens are 21 weeks old, (a barred rock and partridge rock), and suddenly the barred rock will not leave me alone. If I'm outside she is right there with me, clucking away at me. In the past few weeks their combs and wattles have gotten huge and dark red, so I figure they will lay soon. Why the sudden personality change though? And along with it she's gotten noisy.

2. chicknhawaii

chicknhawaii Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Honolulu, HI
    I think maybe you've been recognized as the supplier of everything! My Cornish X follows me everywhere and my RSLs do too, to a point (they're younger). [​IMG]

3. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    Aw she just loves you ALOT is all..lol

4. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    mine with a roo don't follow me, the girls without a roo follow me everywhere. especially if i am headed towards the berry bushes![​IMG]

they love the food master!

5. Sparrow

Sparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    I have a White Leghorn pullet that started doing that to me as soon as I put her and her buddies outside in the run. Everyone wants attention from me, but this girl is like my shadow out there! No one seems to believe it until they see it, but she just wants to be picked up and squished. [​IMG] I think some might just be more affectionate than others and bond more closely with you. I don't think it only has to do with food, you have been feeding her for weeks now! Honestly, I have never given my chickens any treats or fed them from my hands. I think chickens are certainly capable of bonding with their people.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
  6. milleryardchx

milleryardchx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Washington State
    My girls would have nothing to do with me the first month of having them but then.... I bought them night crawlers and they fallow me everywhere since then I can't go in the yard with out them right on my heals but they still never let me hold them.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
  7. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Maybe she's elevated you to 'roo' status?[​IMG]

8. lemurchaser

lemurchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    Corvallis, OR
    Quote:I was sort of thinking that. Especially now that she's just about ready to lay. Maybe she expects something that only a roo can do, from me. :eek:

It's cute that she wants attention, but she still won't let me pet her or touch her. She just hangs out with me.

9. chicknhawaii

chicknhawaii Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Honolulu, HI
    Quote:Sorry, this just cracks me up [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Kesta

Kesta Pie Crust Malfunction

Jul 31, 2008
    houston tx
    my older hens follow me too! they:confused: either love me or want to kill me im not sure it might get worse if they hate me when they start laying because id be taking there eggs
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by