My Chicken Has Heatstroke and Is Waterlogged

Alek

Chirping
Feb 20, 2021
I have a 5 or 6 year old rooster who got heatstroke so then we put him in some water and he just sat there. The next day I go in there to move him from the smaller and more insulated coop to the bigger and less insulated coop. As I'm carrying him his face points towards the ground and it's like a flood has just occurred and water is just streaming out of his beak. So what should I do for this? I want him to be cooler but I don't want him to drown.

I have a 5 or 6 year old rooster who got heatstroke so then we put him in some water and he just sat there. The next day I go in there to move him from the smaller and more insulated coop to the bigger and less insulated coop. As I'm carrying him his face points towards the ground and it's like a flood has just occurred and water is just streaming out of his beak. So what should I do for this? I want him to be cooler but I don't want him to drown.
It sounds like he was severely dehydrated (as part of the heatstroke) and drank a ton of water to try to replace the fluids lost. When you picked him up you likely pressed on his crop and expressed all the water he drank.

You need to bring him inside and make him an area where he can cool off and relax. Leaving him outside, especially after a heatstroke will only make things worse.

Keep him cool, and provide fluids and electrolytes. Give him time to recover. Depending on how bad the heatstroke was, he could suffer permanent neurological issues.

@Eggcessive
@sourland Any thoughts on this?

Has he settled down, yet? As in, is he still streaming water? How is his overall behavior? Is he eating and moving normally? And, as icky as this sounds, is he pooping normally? If everything else is good, then you may have squeezed his crop when you picked him up. If it was full of water, it pops back out quickly. Keep an eye on him to make sure it wasn't damaged, but he should be okay.

There are lots of ways to help chickens keep cool. Sitting him in water is a good start with heat stroke, but he really only needs to be in it for a little while - not long enough (or in water deep enough) that he could drown.
I fill milk jugs about 3/4 full, then freeze them. I rotate them out as they melt. My birds all gather around them when it's really hot.
You can also float ice in a shallow pan - like a kitten litter pan or a shallow hog pan. Just an inch or so of water should be plenty. Frozen treats are also good - you can freeze fruit (mine love berries.) A watermelon, cut in half and cooled (or frozen) is a good option, too.

Back
Top Bottom