My chicken has swollen feet

Leslie Hoex

In the Brooder
Nov 15, 2016
My big Buff Orpington has swollen feet. I have checked and she doesn't have bumble foot or mites. She eats just fine, she is bright and forages in the yard and gets up on the perches to sleep. She is 3-4 years old. I checked with my local vet and she said maybe arthritis or gout but she would have to see her...I don't want to pay $67! She is not showing any signs for gout or arthritis. I have soaked her feet in Epsom salts with no relief. Anybody get any ideas? She is one of 30 hens and she is the only one witht big fat feet :0/

Last edited:
After that wrap her in a warm towel and keep her isolated for a while in a dog kennel of some sort.

Last edited:
I just got back from the coop and saw your other post. I poked her feet and no puss just blood. i'll separate her tomorrow, but why?

Well I have seen that post, she has no bumble foot or mites. She walks around without favoring any of her feet so I don't think it is arthritis. Maybe gout but again, she is eating moving around, sitting on perches.maybe the foot has too much protein but I have never changed it. I am stumped :0/

I see this thread was started 4 weeks ago. Just want to know how your girl is now and if you ever found out what it was. I have a 5 yr old hen and just noticed swelling in her legs as well looks the same as your girl. I'm going to start with a foot soak as well and antibiotic injections. Hope things worked out for your girl and fingers crossed I can figure this one out for my girl.

Back
Top Bottom