My chicken has very watery diarrhea, any more suggestions?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mygoldengirls, Jul 6, 2016.

1. mygoldengirls

mygoldengirls New Egg

Jun 10, 2015
    Northern Wisconsin
    Just today I noticed my 4 month old Polish Crested is having very watery diarrhea. She literally (sorry) squirts it out of her back end. It's been quite warm and humid here in Wisconsin for the past 2 days, but I have been giving fresh cold water all the time, and some frozen melon. There are no worms (they were all wormed 15 days ago and again last Sunday (because of a worm outbreak) and no blood or anything strange. I gave her a small amount of BeneBac probiotic this morning and then about 2 cc's of yogurt. Is there anything else I should do? I just want to make sure I am doing whatever I should be doing. Thanks for any suggestions in advance!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
  2. kidfarmer

kidfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2015
    Massachusetts
    I am not the best chicken expert but I have been told that is just the chickens drinking a lot a water to cool themselves and pretty much flushes them out

3. mustang56

mustang56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2012
    I'd wet her down and cool her off.... make sure she has shade...
    frozen watermelon and frozen peas......

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Sometimes in hot weather chickens do consume more water, so it could be the extra water and the watermelon.

Offer her normal feed, plenty of cold water like you are doing and limit the watery treats to see if that helps. Watch for signs of overheating like panting, lethargy, weakness. If so move her to a cooler area, you can dip her legs and feet in cool water.

If the watery diarrhea continues, then there may be something else going on.

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=17568.0

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by