My chicken hasn't laid yet

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicklover56, Mar 14, 2016.

1. chicklover56

chicklover56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2015
    Kansas
    My almost 1 year old Easter Egger has not begun laying yet. The other one I got with her has been laying for a while now. She started squatting a couple weeks ago, but no egg yet. I am concerned about her.

Thank you in advance.

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    If she is squatting and her face is red, then her eggs should be popping out any day. Could she be hiding her eggs by any chance? Sometimes hens will go off and lay in their own, private areas. Make sure she is receiving proper feed. Has there been any illness or stress going on in the flock of late? These factors can highly influence laying. She could also just be a really later bloomer...

3. chicklover56

Jun 1, 2015
    Kansas
    My flock actually just started free ranging a couple of days ago, so I don't think she's laying anywhere different. Everybody has been doing good, no illnesses. She has been spending an awful lot of time in the coop though. She'll go up there and dig out the nesting boxes, and I always take her out because she does it for a long time. I'm not sure if that means anything?

4. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Digging in the nests, spending excessive amounts of time in the coop and exploring the nests is another indicator the eggs are on the way. I would give her another week and see what happens.

5. chicklover56

Jun 1, 2015
    Kansas
    Ok I will.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by