My chicken having difficulty walking

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chamomile, Jun 18, 2010.

1. chamomile

chamomile New Egg

Jun 18, 2010
    :/My chicken, her name is Orangita and today I noticed she started having serious trouble walking. It's exactly like shes trying to walk straight but instead shes veering to the left then falls down. She is alert. Her poop is green, loose and mucousy looking. I've isolated her and gave her some food and she ate alittle. I gave her oral multi vit with extra B's and E. Haven't notice yet if she has drank water. she lives with 9 other birds and they are all well. Some history of her is about 1 year ago she did this same think but the first symptom she had was twisting of the neck then the paralysis (veering to the left). I was told to give her vitamin b's and iron orally and Vitamin E. After about a week she recovered. Could this be the same problem? Any responses will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  2. chamomile

chamomile New Egg

Jun 18, 2010
    Today she is doing about the same. She ate pretty good last night and I gave her vitamins and water orally this morning but no poop yet. She has not tried to get up. She remains alert just not trying to get up. anyone that can give me any help will be greatly appreciated. thanks

3. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

I have no definite idea [​IMG]

If you pick her up, what happens with her feet and legs? Does she move them at all, do her feet curl? Stay tucked up by her body or dangle loose and limp?

Has she been laying?

What does her comb look like - fat, plump and full of vibrant color - or shrunk and pale?

Her eyes - same shape and color?

Have you looked her over for mites/lice? Lice will lay their eggs on the feather shafts near the vent, head and legs. They often look like "poopy feathers" on the chickens bum.

I know I am just full of questions and no help, but these questions and their answers from you might help someone else id the problem.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  4. chamomile

chamomile New Egg

Jun 18, 2010
    When I picked her up she moves her legs and they are with strong tone. I don't think she has been laying as I've notice that most of them have slowed down over the last two weeks for whatever reason I don't know. The rest all look fine. Her comb does look good fat plump and with good color. The last time she was sick her comb looked shrunken and pale. Her eyes appear fine. I looked over body and didn't see anything obvious. Hope this helps

5. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Hmmmm

Could she have hurt herself jumping down from some place (roost? deck rail, or deck?) or flown into the coop wall? [​IMG]

What type of feed are you feeding? Do you offer oyster shells?

6. chamomile

chamomile New Egg

Jun 18, 2010
    It's possible but i did not see anything happening. They eat organic scratch,laying pellets, yes they get oyster shell and all other kinds of food. Fruits other seeds greens from the garden, melons etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by