My Chicken House (Photos Included)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Scott, May 14, 2009.

1. Scott

Scott Ozark Bantams

Apr 11, 2007
    Southeast Missouri
    Thought I'd share a few photos of my chicken house. If you'd like, you can see more pictures of the house and my flock here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 4, 2009
  2. lunkerchicken

lunkerchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Nice job. Is that sand in your run? How does it hold up? How do the chickens like it? I was thinking of adding sand to my run as well.
    [​IMG]

3. Freckle Face Farm

Freckle Face Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    Florida
    [​IMG] Nice coop

4. Scott

Scott Ozark Bantams

Apr 11, 2007
    Southeast Missouri
    Quote:Thanks, I'm proud of it and the flock seems happy. I do have some sand in the pen area. When I built the house and pen a couple of years ago, I added a few wheelbarrow loads of sand to the pen to help with drainage. It does the job well. Plus the ground slightly sloped away from the house. I added a few bags of sand this spring. Other than that, Ive never had do anything to the floor of the pen. The sand dries out quicker than pure dirt, helps with drainage from rain water, and just seems more clean to to me. I've been pleased with the results.

- Scott

5. wenitolduso

wenitolduso Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2008
    Would LOVE to see inside your coop!!!! We are in need of ideas have to get a new one up soon for new chicks Love the outside GREAT JOB!!!!

6. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Great looking coop!!! Looks like some chickens escaped though! [​IMG]

7. mmtillman

mmtillman Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

8. Schroeder

Schroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Central Indiana
    My Coop
    Love your set-up. Are you sorry you didn't make the run large enough to walk in, or has it worked out fine the way it is?

9. Scott

Scott Ozark Bantams

Apr 11, 2007
    Southeast Missouri
    Quote:I thought that I would regret not making the run tall enough to walk into but so far I can't say its been a problem. Ideally, a walk-in would be nice but the current does the job. I've been wanting to add an additional pen to the left-hand side of the house.

10. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Quote:I thought that I would regret not making the run tall enough to walk into but so far I can't say its been a problem. Ideally, a walk-in would be nice but the current does the job. I've been wanting to add an additional pen to the left-hand side of the house.

We usually rake out our run, do you?
    We use sand as well, but it gets to looking filthy after a while. Raking out the bigger chunks is done about once a month in ours...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by