My Chicken Inhaled Smoke

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Deana, May 26, 2010.

1. Deana

Deana New Egg

May 26, 2010
    Does anyone have any advice? The light in the chicken coop fell into the bedding and smoldered. The chickens breathed it in. As soon as I discovered it I brought them into the house for the night, but one is coughing and coughing. I'm so worried about her, but I don't know if there's anything I can do to help her. I also don't know how much smoke the other chickens might have inhaled, and I don't know of any livestock vets in the area. It's late here right now, but I can try to find her a vet as soon as possible. I know birds are very susceptible to breathing problems. I'm very attached to my girls and I want to take good care of her.

I don't know if anyone has any insight as to what I might do for her, but please let me know if you have any ideas.

Thanks a million,
    Deana

2. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Oh gosh I am so sorry. I wish I knew what to tell you. The first them comes to my mind is give her oxygen but how on earth you could do that to a chicken....no idea. Keep watching her and hopefully someone in the morning will see this that can offer better advice.

I wanted to add....thank goodness you averted disaster...your coop could have burned down with the girls in it. It has happened to several members sadly. Be carefully with lights and heat in the coop...secure it well so it cannot fall onto the bedding or is hanging to close to the wood.

3. Deana

Deana New Egg

May 26, 2010
    Oh yes. The light could've caused the entire coop to burn down and that would've been even worse. I thought it was secure, but clearly I was wrong.
    Thanks for your comments. For now I'll keep my fingers crossed. (I hear her coughing in the next room. Poor thing.)
    I'll post an update. Hopefully with good news.
    Thanks again,
    Deana

4. Deana

Deana New Egg

May 26, 2010
    It's 9am here now, and the good news is that the chicken has survived the night. There are still a few coughs and some wheezing, but nothing like it was. We may have dodged a bullet.

The weather is unseasonably cool, so I'm keeping her in the house for the day. In fact, all of the chickens breathed in some of the smoke, and I could hear their breathing wasn't quite right. Nothing quite like Sprout (the one who was coughing so badly) but still, enough to worry me. So I brought them all in out of the smoke to spend the night in my bathroom. I figure I already have a chicken poop covered floor in there now, I might as well keep them in there through the storm while airing out the coop.

I can't thank you enough for chiming in.
    Deana

5. shellybean40

shellybean40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Boerne, TX
    yea, that smoke smell can be irritating to the lungs, you will have to wash it really good!

6. Deana

Deana New Egg

May 26, 2010
    Will do. I certainly don't want to do anything that will irritate their little lungs any further.
    Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by