My chicken is acting strange!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 3Chickenlover3, May 4, 2016.

1. 3Chickenlover3

3Chickenlover3 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2016
    One of my chickens hasn't been laying eggs in the past month and a half. When she does lay she lays eggs with no shells. I give her plenty of oyster shells and other calcium items. She is at the top of the pecking order, so it's not like she isn't eating enough! And today she sat in the nest the whole day and didn't lay. There was a yellow substances coming out of her butt? What should I do?

2. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    she is sick I don't know what she has exactly but could be internal laying or an infection of the reproductive tract, or could just be vent gleet, other info to give us would be age, breed, and type of feed. and I would talk to eggcessive or casportpony

3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Soft shelled eggs are either from stress, or a defective shell gland. If she's chronically laying them than it's nothing you can do anything about. Otherwise limit stress and disturbances.

4. 3Chickenlover3

Apr 10, 2016
    Thanks. I think i have added even more stress due to the fact that I just got two new chickens last Sunday! I'm glad she is okay, she is also 2 years old if that means anything?

5. 3Chickenlover3

Apr 10, 2016
    She is a fog horn leghorn and is 2 years old. The feed is just layers mash. Also we got two new chickens last Sunday so maybe she's just really stressed, but she wasn't laying before? So idk

6. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    New birds will definitely cause stress. I wouldn't worry unless she's acting off or sick. I would expect her eggs to return to normal after a bit. Leghorns can be flighty and overreact to things.

1 person likes this.
  7. 3Chickenlover3

Apr 10, 2016
    She did sit on the nest the whole day, and there was a yellow substance leaking from her rear end? Idk ? If it gets worse I'll take it from there ...

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I agree with everyone else, that she could have a defective shell gland or a problem with absorbing calcium. Hens who lay shell-less eggs are prone to them breaking and causing an infection that can spread theough the reproductive tract. She could have egg yolk peritonitis. She could be passing egg material, which could be light yellow or yolk, or she could possibly have an E.coli infection, which also is part of the disease, and causes brighter yellow droppings. Some use antibiotics, such as Baytril (enrofloxacin) to prolong life, but this probably won't cure the disease. This type of problem is common in the super egg layers such as leghorns.

1 person likes this.
  9. 3Chickenlover3

Apr 10, 2016
    [​IMG]
    Sorry for the graphic picture, but hope this helps to understand better !

10. sweetbeak

sweetbeak Chillin' With My Peeps

I had two leg horns that had the exact same problem at around the age of two, they both had yellow discharge and both eventually stopped laying. Took them to the vet and both had peritonitis, unfortunately they both passed within about 6 months. I hope you hen is ok and just showing signs of stress

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by