My chicken is acting strangely PLEASE HELP!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SimonRooster, Feb 5, 2015.

1. SimonRooster

SimonRooster Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2015
    My 9 month old Andalusian hen has been acting strongly the past 2 weeks.
    We hatched her from an egg and she grew up with a single brother, rooster. When she was 6 months she got separated from the rooster, because we didn't want chicks. When she moved in with the 10 older girls, she never really connected and was always by herself (All she wanted to do was hang out with the rooster...)
    I noticed about 2 weeks ago that her neck is always tucked into her shoulders and she never extends her neck. Along with that, she has been doing this weird thing where she opens the tip of her beak a little and pulls her head even farther into her shoulders. It only lasts about 2 seconds.
    Today she twisted her neck about 90 degrees the the side and opened the tip of her beak at the same time.
    She is also not eating or drinking (at least not when I'm around). When I held up a hand full of food she looked very interested, like she really wanted to eat, but just as she was about to peck the food she would stop. She never managed to actually eat the food.
    She isn't talking or making any of her usual chicken happy noises.
    It doesn't help either that It is the middle of the winter where I live, and she seems like she Is always cold.
    I am really worried because another chicken of mine had the same neck twisting, lazy, not moving symptoms and she ended up passing away.
    If anybody has any ideas Please help!!

2. MrsBachbach

MrsBachbach Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Arkansas

The neck twisting is concerning and is a symptom of whatever is bothering her. Off the top of my head, I'm thinking Newcastle, Botulism or maybe even Mareks.
    You can find out more about those at these links or look for other things that could cause the neck twisting symptoms along with her other symptoms.

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/
    http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/poultry.html

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Wellcome to BYC. I would be concerned that she is dehydrated or being kept from food and water. Her symptoms sound like possible wry neck. Could you post a picture of her neck problem? I would start poultry vitamins including thiamine, E, and selenium. Egg contains selenium if your vitamins don't contain that. By the way, you could have left the rooster with his sister, since they won't have chicks unless you incubate eggs. It's always difficult to put a single chicken into a new group all alone. It's easier to slowly introduce two or more together.

4. MrsBachbach

MrsBachbach Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Arkansas
    Yep. Eggcessive could be right. I've seen dehydration cause paralysis in toes before. And adding just one chicken to a new flock is stressful for the one hen.
    It would be better for you to take a bird that is kind of low in the pecking order and put her with your hen and rooster for a few days, then add another for a few days. Then when they all seem adjusted and friendly with each other, introduce the three of them back with the flock.
    You can add the rooster too. You won't get chicks start to develop if you collect the eggs daily.

5. SimonRooster

Feb 5, 2015
    Thank you both for your replies, I really appreciate it.
    I brought her inside last night so she will get warmed up. This morning I gave her some bread. I noticed as she tried to reach it, It is extremely difficult for her to reach the ground with her beak (she also can't preen, because she can't stretch her neck to reach her back) She acts as If she desperately wants to eat but she can't, So its not because she has lost her appetite. She managed to eat a little, like half the size of a pinky finger nail. She swallowed, but for the next 5 minutes she kept swallowing, like it got stuck.
    Along with that, while holding her I found a single bug. It doesn't look like a mite, but it could have been.
    P.s It says I can't post pictures, any Idea how?

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Could the bug have been a tick? Is there any swelling around her neck or wattles? I would put some water into a small bowl of chicken feed and make a mush. Hold the bowl up to her beak (you make have to hold her in your lap wrapped in a towel) and see if she can eat. Then hold up a small bowl of water if she needs more. If you think that she could have been bitten by a tick or something, a 1/2 dose of children's Benadryl may be given once to see if it helps. Here is a video that may help of helping a chicken with wry neck to eat:

Sometimes you have to wait until you have 10 posts to post pictures.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  7. SimonRooster

Feb 5, 2015
    It wasn't a tick, Im sure of it.
    I forgot to add, her poo is yellow, and she only pooped once in the past 18 hours.
    Looking at the wry neck, she most definitely is not like that, but thank anyways.
    I will look into the watered food.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Yellow droppings are not normal so you may want to post a picture of droppings. Yellow poop can be from E. coli and histomoniasis, or sometimes diarrhea from cocci can be yellowish. If a vet is possible, you can always take in a specimen of droppings to be tested for cocci and bacteria, as well as worms.

9. SimonRooster

Feb 5, 2015
    Alright. I managed to attach a picture of her. Altho it probably doesn't help much.
    [​IMG]

I made some mash for her and she managed to eat a little of the wet stuff. She is still not looking good though, but she seems a little more active.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by