1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Chicken is acting very hyper Up PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Rhys Petersen, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Rhys Petersen

Rhys Petersen New Egg

Aug 26, 2010
    Hi
    One of my chickens was sitting in the hay for many hours. I took the eggs under her but she kept sitting there not eat food which is not normal for her. I picked her up to get her to eat some food and she started to eat very quickly. She ran back and forth between eating and drinking. When I picked her up to hold her she was very hyper and keep bobbing her head and a couple of times she jumped into the coop. After doing all of hyper behaviour she went back and sat in the hay and was very quite again. I recently changed food from mash to crumble (bigger pellets).
    Please HELP
    Rhys

2. chickensbythesea

chickensbythesea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    I'd say she's gone broody. It's normal, and just means she's trying to raise chicks instead of lay. Her primary objective is to keep eggs warm and safe, so she's going to gobble down food to get back to them. She's just not that smart (in that you took them).

If she's never done it, a lot of times she'll do it for a day or two and stop. No worries.
    You can try to break her of it if it lasts longer, so she won't stop laying/won't hatch any eggs, but that's never especially easy.

3. MrsPinkKitty

MrsPinkKitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2010
    You must stop giving your chickens Coffee heheh j/k .I noticed when i went from crumble to pellet my babes filled out faster and got full faster. Didnt notice any A.D.D hehe:lol:

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Sounds very much like she has gone broody.

5. Rhys Petersen

Rhys Petersen New Egg

Aug 26, 2010
    Chickbythesea how would i break her from being broody. Because shes been doing this for a couple of days now

6. chickensbythesea

chickensbythesea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    search the forums, but basically, keep her out of the nest/nest box, and don't let her have any eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by