My chicken is acting weird

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mommajen1981, Oct 24, 2016.

1. mommajen1981

mommajen1981 New Egg

Oct 24, 2016
    Iowa
    So today I went out to feed and water my hen I usually go daily but sometimes I misshould a day. That is the case here but I don't ever have any trouble because I have a big feeder for my 4 hens and 2 large water tanks.
    So one of my hens was making a different noise and was flying get around and trying to get out of the cage.
    Does anyone know why this could be?
    Could a raccoon make this hen this distresses?

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

Your hen definitely sounds stressed. Could you give us some more information? How many hens do you have? How large is your coop and run? How old are they?

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hello and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. Certainly sounds like there's something upsetting your hen. Hope you can identify what it is.

Best wishes
    CT

4. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to Backyard Chickens! Queen Misha asked some great questions to help narrowing down what could be wrong with her. I asked a moderator to move this to the chicken behaviorism's page. You might get some educated answers there! Good luck with her and I hope you enjoy BYC as much as I have!

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

6. mommajen1981

mommajen1981 New Egg

Oct 24, 2016
    Iowa
    I took a video but haven't figured out how to upload it.
    It sounds like she's crying and she is pushing the other girls around. I have 4 hens in a 6×10 space with a hutch for them to go in to sleep and roost.
    The neighbors bought the place next door ( it had been abandoned) and started tearing sheds down. I had something on my roof and my indoor dogs went nuts.
    This is why I think it's stress related.
    I can usually pet my girls and they only try to escape when I accidently leave it open to grab something.
    "Mittens" tried to jet out and was flying to the top of the door.
    I have thick steel bars and chicken wire on all lower areas, for the winter I've put up a tarp on 2 sides plus hay all around and on the door.
    No raccoon could get in but he could put a paw through.
    Does that help.

I thought respiratory but I left to get my phone and when I got back she wasn't making the noise until I came in the cage

Oh and I appreciate you moving to to the correct group. Thank you!!!

7. mommajen1981

mommajen1981 New Egg

Oct 24, 2016
    Iowa
    I am happy to report that when I went out to feed and water my girls, Mittens seemed back to normal. She talked to me like usual, let me pet her, wasn't all tense and crazy acting and wasn't making that noise.
    I'm going to keep a close eye on her but I'm definitely feeling a little relieved to see her like her regular self.
    Thus is a great site.and I am here to stay. This is my first flock so I'm learning my girls have quirks and know my voice. Something I never expected.
    Thanks for the great welcome

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by