Shontelle

In the Brooder
Sep 29, 2019
Normally she would come running at the sound me coming into the backyard now she docent move out of the nesting box. If I try to remove her from the box she makes some noise but I can get her. Iplace her outside where she will walk fine and do normal chicken things only to go back into the box. This has only been happening the last couple of days and Im not sure why. She is a silky which I hatched and raised and lives with one other chicken, a Rode Island Red. I don't have a Rooster however a couple houses down there is soon that's been quite loud lately. She does give eggs but not consistently, i haven't received an egg from her in about 3 weeks. Is it due to the recent cold weather? Is she clucky?

Thank you, now just need to get some eggs :)
I would also move her to her own nesting area and lock her in for a day or two before allowing her to come and go OR monitor her to make sure she doesn't go back to the nest box she started in. Being broody can be tough on their bodies. You want her to come out daily to eat, drink, poop, preen, dust bath and stretch her legs and wings.
I gently removed my broody from her nest at the morning and afternoon feedings and would stay with her until she snapped out of the broody trance or one of her flock mates did it for her and she torn off across the pen to scratch. Cool morning breaks were usually no longer than 10 or 15 minutes. Warm to hot afternoon breaks would be 45 to 60 minutes.
Good luck with your girl.

Sounds like she may be broody.

Have you noticed her eating/drinking/pooping normally?
If so, I wouldn't be too worried, just watch her. Especially with her being a silkie. They are broody monsters

Yes everything else has been normal, and that was my first thought but then was a bit confused as she isn't sitting on an egg. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom