My chicken is an odd duck!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by salemskies, Feb 11, 2009.

1. salemskies

salemskies Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2008
    I believe that this was this girl's first egg and she had a DEFINITE idea about where she wanted to lay it!! Somehow, someway, this chicken got it in her mind that my computer chair inside the house was THE place to lay an egg. I shoo'd her out many times (I was working on the chicken coop but had the door open). She managed to sneak in and before you know it, PLOP, there was her little barred rock egg! [​IMG] What a silly girl, I just couldn't believe it! She can lay an egg on my chair any 'ole day. [​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Chickens like to lay eggs where hens set...[​IMG]

3. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

maybe she felt comfortable and safe in her mama's chair... [​IMG]

4. salemskies

Dec 8, 2008
    [​IMG] Maybe you're both right. I just couldn't believe it. She must've told the others because I had another one keep trying to sneak in. It's the new Hen Hangout! [​IMG]

5. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Can't remember if I actually did, but I've always wanted to tell you how much I like your avatar... LOVE that comb thing! [​IMG]

6. silentrunning

silentrunning Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    Venice, Florida
    After the last of our hens passed on we were still finding eggs hidden away 3 months after they were gone. We disposed of them VERY carefully. They are very crafty about putting their eggs where they want to.

7. salemskies

Dec 8, 2008
    Thank-you for the avatar compliment, ctrlover! It was just too cute so I had to use it!

I remember when I was a kid, my brother and I were always finding hidden chicken and duck eggs and it was so fun to throw those nasty stink bombs everywhere. The things kids find to entertain themselves!![​IMG]

I'm going to leave the door cracked today and see if my girl comes in and lays another egg. I think I'll record it and post it on youtube!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by