My chicken is bleeding! Please help me

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickiNovice, Aug 22, 2013.

1. ChickiNovice

ChickiNovice Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2013
    I just noticed that my chicken is bleeding around the tail area and missing a large patch of feathers. I looked this problem up and some said that the other chickens are picking on her but it might also be a parasite or bug. She is only 12 weeks old so I thought that the feathers might have just taken a little while to grow in but now that I see blood I am very worried. She might be picking at the feathers because I saw another one doing that as well but not to the point of blood. How should I clean the patch of blood? Could you help me figure out the cause of this problem? How can I prevent this from happening again?

2. ChickiNovice

Jun 3, 2013
    Here are some pictures and please let me know if you need anymore to clarify what the extent of the problem

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It doesn't seem all that serious, so don't worry. Clean the area using a cloth/paper towl damp with hot water. Then, apply some antibiotic ointment like neosporin, but make sure to not use it if it contains any ingredients ending in "caine" or "cain". Keep her isolated from other chickens, as they might peck at it and make it worse. You can also spray some BlueKote on, as it will help disguise the red color, and prevent any infection.

Hope this helps!

4. ChickiNovice

Jun 3, 2013
    Thank you so much! It didn't seem like she was hurt too much and I believe she was picking at it herself.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by