My chicken is constantly sleeping and puffed up

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HGM, Apr 22, 2018.

1. HGM

HGM In the Brooder

Apr 22, 2018
    California
    My 8-9 week old barred rock hen has been puffed up and sleeping for about 4 days. She has her tail really low and kind of a hunched back with her head tucked in. It’s been about 70 degrees during the day. She’s usually with the other chickens but she isn’t as active and not as interested in treats like normal. If I go in there, since they aren’t totally used to me yet, they will run and she still does. If she hears a noise she will wake up. (She’s been sleeping with her head tucked in her wing/on her back) they are on hen scratch and have clean water all the time. I saw a very bloody area on the ground with some poop and some mucus stuff in it, it mainly looked like someone had got cut though. I checked all 4 of them and nobody had cuts or any reason for bleeding. What could this be? I have been bribing her in the house, in the mornings so I could see her poop and she finally did today (4/22/18) the first one what very watery and white and the second one which was maybe a minute later was dark brown diarrhea.

2. silkielover2121

silkielover2121 In the Brooder

May 14, 2015
    If it were me, I would get her aside and feed her something high in calories. I usually scramble some eggs and feed them or use strawberries or something they love. If she has loose stool, she might not be drinking. You might have to ensure that she drinks by taking her to the water. If you could get her interested in watermelon it has a high water content. I have used these things with my chickens. I think that the other chickens might keep her from taking advantage of these things and that is why I say to offer to her only.

3. HGM

HGM In the Brooder

Apr 22, 2018
    California
    Thank you! Yesterday and today I brought her in the house for a couple of hours and gave her very small bits of wheat bread, strawberries, tired banana but she wasn’t fond of that, and flour tortillas. She’s eaten quite a bit. I also took some out for the other chickens and she was still eating some but not as much since she just ate a bunch. I just switched them to the hen scratch. Could it be possible she isn’t eating because she doesn’t like it? Should I try to give her the chick feed?

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Crowing

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    First things first. Growing chicks need unlimited access to starter/grower feed. Scratch is a treat, not an appropriate diet for any chicken. And the high calcium content of layer feed can be fatal to young chicks. The bloody poo and the hunching up points to coccidiosis. Give the appropriate diet to meet their nutritional needs and get them on a treatment for coccidiosis ASAP. Left untreated, it will kill.

5. HGM

HGM In the Brooder

Apr 22, 2018
    California
    What do I give to treat coccidiosis

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would agree with treating for possible coccidiosis. Get some Corid from your feed store, cattle medicines. Dosage is 1.5 tsp of the powder or 2 tsp (10ml) of liquid Corid per gallon of water for 5-7 days.

You should also get the chick starter grower to start feeding that. If you have older chickens, you can use Flock Raiser feed—good for all ages. Laying hens will need some crushed oyster shell for extra calcium.

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    upload_2018-4-22_14-15-30.jpeg

Attached Files:

8. Cayuga momma

Cayuga momma If u try, u risk failure. If u don’t, u ensure it.

Mar 13, 2018
    Allegany County , NY
    I would definitely treat her with corid also.
    Is there any chance that she could have lead poisoning? Dark faeces can be a sign of that.
    Treatment would be calcium and to flush her system.

9. HGM

HGM In the Brooder

Apr 22, 2018
    California
    We are gonna go get starter/grower feed and corid. All 4 are the same age. She’s the only one acting like this. She’s drinking water. Since I have her in my lap I brought the chick waterer and set it near me and she drank a normal amount.

10. HGM

HGM In the Brooder

Apr 22, 2018
    California
    Should I be safe and treat all of them since she hasn’t been separated or could that harm the other chickens since they aren’t showing signs of sickness?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: