My Chicken is Crying.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dechickens, Oct 1, 2013.

1. dechickens

dechickens New Egg

Oct 1, 2013
    My husband had let the chickens out of their coop when he left for work early this morning and said everything was fine. I woke up a couple hours later to a strange constant crying sound. I checked on the chickens and one of them is 'crying'. She is about 1.5yrs. old and finished molting a couple weeks ago. If you go to youtube and search 'chicken crying?', it is a video of what my chicken is doing. (This is not my video), but that chicken is doing exactly what my chicken is doing. There are no responses, so I don't know what is causing this. I'm concerned that the crying will attract predators, but I do have goats, so hopefully that would deter anything from coming in the yard. She comes for corn treats, but does not eat. She does chase & eat stinkbugs flying around, but usually just stands and constantly cries. Even when walking around she cries, like the video.

Has anybody experienced this before? Do they stop the crying? What could it be? I've googled it and come up with, upper respiratory illness, could be a tick on her, or any number of reasons.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Was the video you are talking about one that has a black sexlink hen in it? That chicken sounds distressed, like it has trouble breathing with the squeek/sneeze at the end of a lot of the cries. Have you caught yours and checked if you can see anything going on with her mouth/throat area? Would wonder about a bee sting or something.

3. dechickens

dechickens New Egg

Oct 1, 2013
    Yes, that is the video. She now sounds like she's wheezing. I tried to catch her, she wasn't hand raised, so she is hard to catch. After trying to get her with a net, I noticed she seemed to be hiccuping. So I looked that up and I see that it could be an impacted crop. Could that be it? Still trying to catch her. Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by