My chicken is eating whatever I prune including thorns

beginnergirl

Songster
May 25, 2015
Pacific Nortwest
I've been pruning my garden and this is my first spring with chickens. My alpha girl thinks whatever I prune has got to be good food. LOL She follows me wherever I go and has eaten trimmings from rose branches with thorns,
1f61f.png
lilac branches- basically whatever I prune, she wants to eat.

I now am putting the rose stems in a bag so she won't eat them. But is it okay for her to eat bits of pruned woody branches? They are maybe 1/2" long. Thought I had it mostly figured out...

But am LOVING having chickens. They know their names. Each one squats for petting and they will hop in my lap if I have food. One will sit on my lap without food but not for long. Haha. Still so much fun!

Chickens are very curious and will eat just about everything. She should be fine eating those. I am also very glad you like your chickens! Mine bring great joy to me too. :)

Try to avoid bite size cuttings of woody, thorny material. It could prove problematic in the digestive system, sharp thorns especially as they can get hung up and cause perforation of soft tissue.

It's not true chickens only swallow stuff that is good for them. Most are discerning, but there are some who will swallow anything, sort of like the USA electorate.

Try to avoid bite size cuttings of woody, thorny material. It could prove problematic in the digestive system, sharp thorns especially as they can get hung up and cause perforation of soft tissue.

It's not true chickens only swallow stuff that is good for them. Most are discerning, but there are some who will swallow anything, sort of like the USA electorate.
yuckyuck.gif
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom