1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My chicken is eating whatever I prune including thorns

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by beginnergirl, Feb 9, 2016.

1. beginnergirl

beginnergirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2015
    Pacific Nortwest
    I've been pruning my garden and this is my first spring with chickens. My alpha girl thinks whatever I prune has got to be good food. LOL She follows me wherever I go and has eaten trimmings from rose branches with thorns, [​IMG] lilac branches- basically whatever I prune, she wants to eat.

I now am putting the rose stems in a bag so she won't eat them. But is it okay for her to eat bits of pruned woody branches? They are maybe 1/2" long. Thought I had it mostly figured out...

But am LOVING having chickens. They know their names. Each one squats for petting and they will hop in my lap if I have food. One will sit on my lap without food but not for long. Haha. Still so much fun!

2. CochinLover1

CochinLover1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2015
    Ohio
    Chickens are very curious and will eat just about everything. She should be fine eating those. I am also very glad you like your chickens! Mine bring great joy to me too. :)

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Try to avoid bite size cuttings of woody, thorny material. It could prove problematic in the digestive system, sharp thorns especially as they can get hung up and cause perforation of soft tissue.

It's not true chickens only swallow stuff that is good for them. Most are discerning, but there are some who will swallow anything, sort of like the USA electorate.

1 person likes this.
  4. CochinLover1

CochinLover1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2015
    Ohio
    [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by