My chicken is extremely sick, HELP??!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FireFliticDream, Nov 20, 2013.

1. FireFliticDream

FireFliticDream New Egg

Nov 20, 2013
    I just got two new chickens, a rooster and a hen. The other day we put them outside in the backyard and a few hours later it started raining quite heavily. The rooster was huddled in a little corner under the wooden fence and kept slipping whenever he tried to get out and he stayed there for almost the entire day until I came back, he wouldn't let us help it. Finally we were able to bring him inside and he was shivering like crazy, its eyes were also shut. I toweled it off but it was still shivering pretty badly, so I let him get some sleep. A day later he's even worse, he's trembling violently and it keeps twisting its neck around. He keeps closing his eyes and sometimes one is closed and this other is open, he's also vomiting. Whenever I touch his legs,they jerk back violently as if he's hurt, and he can't stand up. Whenever we touch him, he just starts flapping his wings at us. He lies on his side all day and continues to tremble, we even gave him some baby aspirin. His poop is white and the eyes are clear to me, no discharge in the nose, nothing like that. Just vomiting, trembling, leg pains, and I think some serious spasms whenever we touch him. He won't eat or drink. Yesterday he let me hand water him, but today whenever I try to open his beak to put the dropper in, he tries pecking. The hen is fine though. The morning he got sick, they were both eating styrofoam and dried flakes of paint and ignoring the food I put out for them. But the hen came out just fine. I have no idea what he ate or what happened, but he's not eating, drinking, standing, or walking. He's just shivering, has leg pains, and vomiting, (I think some diarrhea to?) The vet's that are around aren't used to farm animals, and can't really do anything, so that's not an option. What is this, what do I do, and can it be cured?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. FireFliticDream

FireFliticDream New Egg

Nov 20, 2013
    Thank you ): I don't think Marek's disease can be cured. But whenever I try to hold my rooster's beak to force feed him, he tries closing it right away, therefore pecking me in the process. How am I supposed to feed him?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by