My chicken is getting pooped on!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Flock Leader, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Flock Leader

Flock Leader Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2012
    Israel
    [​IMG]
    The little silver pullet in the picture is my special favorite, I'm sure you can tell why. :eek:) She's a mixed silkie, about 3 months old. She's gentler and smaller-sized than the rest of the birds in our flock, and thus has a lower place in coop hierarchy.

Every night when the birds perch and settle to sleep, this little one remains below the others... and is showered with poop throughout the night. This sometimes results in really ugly poop-and-feather tangles, which I then have to cut off.

What should I do to prevent her getting pooped on? I thought of moving her aside a bit after she's gotten sleepy, but what about a permanent solution?

2. sebocat

sebocat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2012
    Sterling, AK
    After seeing several poop shelves on this site, I installed my own. I built a tray under the whole length of the perch and filled it with a mix of sand and Sweet PDZ. I use a cat litter scoop to clean it daily. It's easy to clean and nobody gets pooped on! There are great examples of shelves on this site.

3. Flock Leader

May 3, 2012
    Israel
    What a great idea, I didn't think of it, thanks!

4. laturcotte1

laturcotte1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    That is so funny. We have a bantam rooster and purchased 3 pure white bantam silky hens for him. Well I didn't know silkies didnt roost. So the next morning when I opened the pop door and they all ran out I was shocked to find two still pure white puffs and one that looked like it was in war. She was a gray mass of stuck together feathers. I wish I had a camera her head was all spiked. I had to take the poor thing and wash her.

5. Flock Leader

May 3, 2012
    Israel
    Oh my gosh, can't imagine having to wash a chicken, I'd be afraid to do that. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by