my chicken is growing a horn?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Casey09, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Casey09

Casey09 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2012
    Phoenix AZ
    ok so one of my chickens is growing a horn type bump on its beak. the other chick of the same breed does not have a bump so im not sure if its a gender thing or just a deformation...i believe they are easter eggers, they were abandoned in my yard so i dont really know for sure. in the picture its the white bump on the top of its beak just under the red.

[​IMG]
    it is raided up and hard so i dont believe its an injury but it really looks like my chicken is part rhino lol.

any ideas what it is?

2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    it looks like a deformity or extra growth. as long as it is not hurting the chicken or bothering its breathing it should be fine. shes just a little different. :) i think she will be fine.

3. Haunted55

Haunted55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    I don't think it's anything to worry about. I have Ameraucanas and a couple of them have something extra as well. Never thought about it before and since they're 2 years old I can't see any reason to worry about it now, lol.

4. Casey09

Casey09 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2012
    Phoenix AZ
    ok thank you guys! i was just worried that it might be hurt. maybe now ill be able to tell the 2 babies apart lol

5. Wendyann123

Wendyann123 New Egg

Jun 1, 2014
    Hi there. Just wondering how that one "horned chick" is going. I have a 3 month old jersey giant that has the exact same thing on her beak. She doesn't seem to be bothered by it all even when I poke at it. It's very hard but seems to be larger than the one you pictured.

6. Dianne88

Dianne88 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Panhandle, FL
    I have a 19/20 wk old Pullet with one of the little horns growing on her beak. I hope it's nothing to worry about?!?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by