1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My chicken is having trouble walking.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by autkirkham, Mar 21, 2013.

1. autkirkham

autkirkham New Egg

Mar 21, 2013
    I have two hens and a rooster. One of my hens started having trouble walking yesterday. She is worse today. She try's to get up to eat (only watermelon and strawberries) she won't eat any pelleted food. I looked it up sounds like it could be Marek's disease? She try's to walk then flops over with her wings spread out. I'm am new to having chickens. Not sure if my other two can catch whatever she has? Not too sure what to do with her but I don't want her to be hurting. Please help!

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] for one thing if it is Marek's - all the chickens you have will probably get it, if they survive they will be carriers for life. But, you don't know if it is Mareks so please don't get ahead of , yourself. Do go to the Emergencies, diseases, injuries forum and post there. Tell them all the symptoms, how old, where they came from etc.etc. If you know of a vet, you could take her in., and find out what you are dealing with.

3. autkirkham

autkirkham New Egg

Mar 21, 2013
    Thank you! I reposted there!

4. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG]

5. Megan Amber

Megan Amber Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    Was just on another thread about this and I learned that if a chicken has too much trauma to the brain then the brain will swell a little and make the chicken act off balance and what you might call "drunk" Is she acting like that?

6. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, autkirkham, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us!! Sorry to hear about your sick birds! I agree with drumstick's advice! Good luck to you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by