My chicken is hiding her eggs

dawnk

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 29, 2013
So, one of my six chickens, Golden Comet Lilly has begun laying eggs. The first was in the nesting box - good Lilly!. I was so excited I removed it. Since then she has been laying an egg every day, but is now hiding them. Should I put the egg she laid yesterday in a nesting box and leave it there?

Also, now that she is laying, will that encourage the other five to start?
Thanks

Congratulations on your first eggs! Most people put fake eggs / golf balls in the nesting boxes to encourage the chickens to lay there. Chickens often seem to think that because one thought that was a good place to lay an egg they should also. If she is hiding eggs outside, if you can, you might want to keep the chickens locked in the coop/run for a couple of days (or at least until she lays during the day) to encourage her to lay in the nest instead of hiding them. One laying doesn't really encourage the others to start, but if they are the same breed, they often will start in the same general time frame, so hopefully you will be getting more eggs soon.

I found some fake eggs at Hobby Lobby, and put them in the boxes (this also works to deter egg eating). Keeping her in the coop for a couple of days is a good idea too. You want to catch her now before your others start to lay, because they will most likely lay where she does. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice. They are laying in the coop. I do have golf balls placed in the nesting boxes to both encourage them to start laying and for placement. Maybe I'm giving Lilly too much credit, however she actually buried her egg in the sand (I put river bed sand in the coop) I think it was to hide it from me.

Wow, I don't know anything about egg hiding
hu.gif
! You have a quirky chicken there!!!
D.gif

Like I said, I might be giving Lilly too much credit - but if it keeps happening ... she might be gifted.

Like I said, I might be giving Lilly too much credit - but if it keeps happening ... she might be gifted.

I just learned that one or more of my chickens is burying eggs in the deep bedding, it's nice to know that they didn't invent this and that there are steps that can be taken. I have comets in my crew too

Back
Top Bottom