My chicken is hurt

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by swing123706, Nov 18, 2013.

1. swing123706

swing123706 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2013
    A couple of week s one of our mature hens came out of the coop limping. So I went and caught her but I can not find any swelling or cuts of any kind. She walks almost like something is out of place. We have contained her on mabe it might be broken. She didn't improve. We got her and other of the same breed from a store(eek). One of those hen hatched out a chick and now the chick is limping as well. Could this be a genetic thing? If not, how do I fix it? Help!

2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Her chick is limping as well?? Are either vaccinated against Mareks disease? I would keep a close eye on them both. Sometimes mareks can manafiest as limping then will progress to paralysis. Not saying your birds have mareks just saying it could be a sign if they haven't injured them selves and it doesn't get better. Watch for curled toes and paralysis. As this could also be a sign of mareks. has the chick ever walked normally? Has the hen? If yes I doubt its a genetic issue.its strange they are both limping at the same time. Can you see any injury or swelling.? I would give it some time and hopefully they will heal. If you see a progression such as paralysis curled toes then I might be concerned for mareks. Just watch them closely and hopefully they will heal up. Hope this helps. Best wishes.

3. swing123706

Aug 21, 2013
    Neither of them are related except by possibly "aunt and niece". The chick didn't start to limp until about 2 weeks after the hen. They both were walking normally one day and the next they were limping. We have not vaccinated our chicken against Mareks

4. realsis

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    How long have they been limping??? Have you noticed if either have a droopy wing? Sometimes Mareks starts presenting itself with a limp that won't heal or droopy wing. You can do some searching online and google " limping chicken and Mareks disease" and read about others experiences with this. I am NOT saying your birds have mareks I'm just saying keep a eye out because limping without injury can be a sign. It can also be a vitamin defiency. I would give some vitamins and see if that helps with the limping. They also could have a sprang that happened with a injury. If the limping does not get better or you see it progress into paralysis curled toes inability to walk then I would suspect it could possibly be Mareks. Just watch them closely and hopefully you will see signs of improvements soon.

5. swing123706

Aug 21, 2013
    Found the Hen died this morning. She looked like she died in her sleep. I now she wasn't eating well. She never did show any other signs of illness. She could still move her foot and there never was any curling of her toes. She would lift her leg high and out front and then put it down only to quickly switch to the other foot. Now the chick is doing the same thing.

6. realsis

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    If you Can send her body to the lab for mareks testing. I would really be concerned at this point especially now that she died. Sometimes what happens is mareks makes tumors grow inside and the tumors can press on nerves in different ways. Resulting sometimes in a limp or it can even cause the paralysis depending on where the tumors are located. Even her symptoms as you discribed can be a signal that Mareks is present. The only way to know for sure is sending her body to study and test. If you have more mysterious deaths or signs of limping in the flock mareks could defiently be the culprit. I would be concerned enough to send her for testing if possible to rule it out. Keep a eye on the other limping bird. I am so sorry for your loss. It seems something serious is going on. If you get the lab work done then you can either rule out mareks or then you will know for certain. Again im very sorry you lost her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by