My chicken is in love.... I think...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ambrosia, Dec 15, 2011.

1. ambrosia

ambrosia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2011
    I have one RIR who is infatuated with me. I understand flock dynamics as such that they see me as "rooster" or head honcho... but really?!?

She flies up to land on my shoulder, every time I enter the coop, and rubs her comb on my face repeatedly...

I can put her down, only to have her jump back up and love up on me....?

Is this normal, or does she see me as more of the master feeder???? lol

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

It probably sees you as a feeder and high perch that makes her alpha hen. Probably not something you want to encourage for reasons of poop and most importantly, for the safety of your shiny grape looking eyes that chickens will eventually try and eat if given a chance.

3. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    Quote:"shiny grape looking eyes" - Love it! [​IMG]

4. NanaLantana

NanaLantana Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    Lantana, Florida
    I have a hen like that - at least she started out that way. She is certainly the alpha hen. Now she won't let me pet or touch another hen if she's around! It's actually getting annoying - - [​IMG]

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Well, it's not always about food, because many (including me) have birds that appear to like attention whether there's food involved or not. I do think some chickens can become pretty dog/cat-like in seeking affection/attention from particular people. Only you know the motivation behind your chicken's obsession though [​IMG]

6. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    She's just looking for some food but keep it going you can train them. Mine will jump up on me if I pat my knees its fun there your buddies. I like to think their my freinds .

7. foxypoproxy

foxypoproxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    Quote:I agree my polish roo was in love with my fiance.
    He would climb up his leg and just sit on him and make cute purring noises.
    He'd eventually climb onto your shoulder and cuddle with your head.

8. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I have a chicken like that. Her name is Muffin. When I go back to the coop to check on things, she'll fly up onto my shoulder or sit on my feet. If I haven't been back to see her for a while, she'll come and find me [​IMG] she flies right over the gate, and comes straight up to the front porch. Then she'll peck on the glass until I open the door and let her inside (my DH has no idea I let her inside [​IMG] ). She even followed me to the bus stop one day when I walked up to get my children, its probably a half mile. I call her my chicken stalker.

9. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I have a polish like that. She sees me as a high perch, not as food. She likes to fall asleep on me at dusk. Silly chickens [​IMG]

10. ambrosia

ambrosia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2011
    At least I'm not the only one that has this happen! Rubbing her comb on my cheek is a little odd, but for the most part I don't mind. I'm thinking its not about food though, because she sings the whole time she is sitting on my shoulder and never even pecks at my hair or jacket....?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by