My Chicken is Lazy

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DianeB, Oct 15, 2009.

1. DianeB

DianeB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    My chicken is lazy. Instead of just standing up and eating out of her feeder, she prefers to knock out all her food and lay down on the floor to eat. She just went to the vet last week and given a clean bill of health. I know she is not sick. She is still the noisest one of the bunch. I think she just does not want to give that extra effort to stand up to eat. She will chase bugs and dig up my garden, but no standing and eating feed is just inconveinent.

This should not come as a surprise. I have had quite a bit of pets that were wanna be couch potatoes. I had a cat that would scream bloody murder at the end of the hall until you picked him up and carried him to the end of the hall. Our family dog growing up would scoot along the floor to get a treat instead of standing up. Now that was lazy!!!

Anyone else have lazy girls?

Oh, did I mention she is taking a break from laying this winter while the others are still doing their job.

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

No lazy chickens yet...but my female dog sure is. I bought one of those raised dog feeders to make things easier on her (or so I thought), but she would prefer a dish on the floor so she could eat while laying down...

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I have an overweight housecat named Blimp, with issues. He scoots, but I don't think it's out of laziness. [​IMG]

Imp

4. DianeB

DianeB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    As long as she is not a large dog, eating on the floor should not be that bad. It is funny about my chicken. She seems to do this usually at down times like the middle of the day or after dark. Another chicken wants to be a couch potato. She would love to watch TV with us for hours eating junk. My sister gave her a potato chip a few times. She devowered it. Maybe, I spoil them too much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by