1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My chicken is limping?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickenNewbie32, Sep 19, 2016.

1. ChickenNewbie32

ChickenNewbie32 Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2016
    I have a chicken that has started limping yesterday, and it got worse today, so bad that she can't walk on it anymore. I have looked at it and it doesn't seem like anything is wrong, she can balance on her other leg that she uses to hop around. I have separated her from the rest of the flock in a box with some dirt in it, i also provided food and water and some crushed up sea shells.

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. ChickenNewbie32

May 28, 2016
    Bump :/

3. ChickenNewbie32

May 28, 2016
    Anyone?

4. ChickenNewbie32

May 28, 2016
    :/

5. ChickenNewbie32

May 28, 2016
    I'm suprised no one has replied yet, usually when i post something like this on BYC people respond instantly.

6. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Any photos?
    How old is she?
    When was the last time she laid an egg?
    Was she vaccinated for Marek's?
    Any swelling at the abdomen?

It's hard to tell the cause of limping in a hen, it could be a sprain, a reproductive/laying disorder like Egg Yolk Peritonitis or illness like Marek's or Mycoplasma S.

Separating her was a good idea. If you have any poultry vitamins offer those in her water. Extra protein sometimes helps as well so give her some egg, tuna, mackerel or meat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by