My chicken is losing weight!

KaityLoo

Chirping
6 Years
Jan 5, 2014
My chicken is losing weight. Her diet has stayed the same & shes eating as much as she always has. I read garlic is a natural dewormer so just to get a jump on things I made her a special breakfast w/diced garlic on top. Any suggestions on her weight loss?

Welcome to BYC.
We will need more information to begin to help you sort out what is happening with your bird.
How old is the bird?
What breed is the bird?
How are you noting the weight loss -- are you weighing the bird, going by the feel of her weight when handled or assessing body condition and noting a decrease in condition? Are you familiar with evaluating body condition for a bird of her type (layer, meat, etc)
What are you feeding - you have told us her diet is consistent, but not what her diet is?
Is her water intake consistent?
What is the condition of her droppings - any significant changes, what color/consistency, etc?
Is this the only bird you have or are there others in the flock - if others in the flock, have you noted any change in their condition?

While parasites such as worms can be the cause of a loss of condition, it is just one of the potential causes and it is important to know what you are treating in order to provide appropriate treating - treating for parasites if the cause is related to something else will not help the bird.

Last edited:
Hi Kaity!

Chickens eat more during the winter months and require additional feed and often scratch. How cold has it been getting for them at night? If they are not eating enough and are exposed to cold temperatures, that could be the problem there...

However, there is a cool chicken symptom checker tool which is available if you would like to get an idea of possible causes, here is a link to the website - http://www.poultrydvm.com

As for the garlic....I wouldn't give garlic just to give it...more feed or scratch in the evening before they go to bed might be sufficient.

My chicken is losing weight. Her diet has stayed the same & shes eating as much as she always has. I read garlic is a natural dewormer so just to get a jump on things I made her a special breakfast w/diced garlic on top. Any suggestions on her weight loss?
What is the total diet like?......Snacks involved? Free range......

Cheers!

Just too add what everyone else said.Garlic is not a dewormer and wont doing anything.If you give sick chickens weird stuff like that it will make it worse.

She is an Americana/Aricana (sp?) who is between 3 and 4 yrs old. Her diet consists of a breakfast and dinner of meat bird and scratch while she free ranges all day. Her appetite and water intake are as normal as ever but when I pick her up, which is at least once a day, her body itself seems smaller as well as feeling lighter. I noticed today when she shakes some white stuff shakes off of her. Maybe like she molting but its not feathers thats coming off of her and I see no missing feathers on her. But it does look like the tip of the feather where it meets the skin. She sleeps in a coop everynight however its been pretty cold at night here. Shes 1 of 2 chickens who share a flock w/8 ducks.

Welcome to BYC.
We will need more information to begin to help you sort out what is happening with your bird.
How old is the bird?
What breed is the bird?
How are you noting the weight loss -- are you weighing the bird, going by the feel of her weight when handled or assessing body condition and noting a decrease in condition?  Are you familiar with evaluating body condition for a bird of her type (layer, meat, etc)
What are you feeding - you have told us her diet is consistent, but not what her diet is?
Is her water intake consistent? 
What is the condition of her droppings - any significant changes, what color/consistency, etc?
Is this the only bird you have or are there others in the flock - if others in the flock, have you noted any change in their condition?

While parasites such as worms can be the cause of a loss of condition, it is just one of the potential causes and it is important to know what you are treating in order to provide appropriate treating - treating for parasites if the cause is related to something else will not help the bird.

I checked out that website and Im thinking maybe shes anemic..
Hi Kaity!

Chickens eat more during the winter months and require additional feed and often scratch. How cold has it been getting for them at night? If they are not eating enough and are exposed to cold temperatures, that could be the problem there...

However, there is a cool chicken symptom checker tool which is available if you would like to get an idea of possible causes, here is a link to the website - http://www.poultrydvm.com

As for the garlic....I wouldn't give garlic just to give it...more feed or scratch in the evening before they go to bed might be sufficient.

Back
Top Bottom