My chicken is making a funny noise... HELP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ninaevans, Jan 12, 2009.

1. ninaevans

ninaevans New Egg

Jan 12, 2009
    my chicken is making a very strange noise..... like a cazoo(?). I have never had chickens before. Is she sick? dying? can my kids get sick.... they play with them all the time. Please any thoughts would be great.

2. allaboutdemchicks

allaboutdemchicks Chapel Farms

Sep 13, 2008
    Jemison, AL
    Welcome!!

We will try to help you but can you give a little more information? How old is the chicken? How long has it been doing this? Is it getting progressively worse? Are there other symptoms such as wheezing, sneezing, nasal discharge, or open-mouth breathing? These are some of the more common symptoms of one of any number of upper respiratory ailments.

First, and formost, separate it from the rest of the flock. Once an infected bird drinks/feeds from a community drinking trough, it leaves behind the bacteria through its nasal discharge. Water also becomes contaminated by feces that end up in the water and also through the dust in the air that contains bacteria and settles into the water/feed. Simple contact with other birds and the aerosol droplets of bacteria in the air caused by infected birds are also a common means of transmission of the disease.

Your kids won't get sick but I wouldn't let them handle it for fear of contamination to the others.

Do some chicken watching and observe any unusual behavior. Also, one more strange thing to do look closely at the nasal openings and make sure they are open. Maybe, hopefully, this is something that will pass in a few days. But just to be safe.....isolate.

Maybe someone else has some ideas.....

Claudia

3. ninaevans

ninaevans New Egg

Jan 12, 2009
    thanks! Today the noise is gone. She is acting normalish. I did notice that her cheeks look a little wet (amerucana). Can chickens get well withought meds? I hope so. she is about 7 months old. the only strange thing i noticed was one of the other hens pecking at her face. Not in an aggressive way.... i will remove her from the other 4 but its probably too late to stop the spreading.

4. warren

warren Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2007
    UK
    Quote:My top hen does this to the others when they have food on their faces.
    When she has finished doing it to the youngest hen she pecks her on the comb which makes her run off.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  5. MassivelyScrambled

MassivelyScrambled Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    Northern California
    I found this post and have a similar issue. I came home today to find my 20 week old GLW pullet making kazoo sounds intermittently and the occasional sneeze. She is sneezing about every 10 minutes or so. She seems fine otherwise, but won't let me close enough during the day to inspect her. It shocked me because this is the quietest, calmest hen/pullet of all our birds. In fact she almost never makes a peep even when you pick her up. So to hear her making kazoo sounds is disturbing. We have two other young pullets in the A frame with her, and four older hens in our bigger coup. They all hang out and intermingle during the daytime. It's the first day (or time ever) that I've seen this in any chickens we have or have had.

Any thought/input would be appreciated. I'll monitor her for now...[​IMG]

6. MassivelyScrambled

MassivelyScrambled Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    Northern California
    So today my GF went out to find a small'ish dark brown egg in the nest box and the chicken acting totally normal.... could this all have been her body(and mind) readting to the experience of laying her very first egg!? LOL Anyway...I'm glad see seems better and that she layed her very first egg....such a sweet sweet hen.[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by