My chicken is making a honk noise when she breathes.

mindymedley

Hatching
7 Years
May 2, 2012
Hello, I could use some help 1 of my chickens is making a honking noise when she is breathing it just started today. She is about 4 or 5 yrs old I think. I got her when she was 1 or 2 and have had here for a few years. She doesn't seem to have anyother symtoms. I did seperate her from the others just incase. She is still laying eggs once in awhile and she is still talking. I call it honking because it doesn't sound conjuested or anything but its kinda loud when she breathes out is when its loud when she breathes in its quite. But shes not couching, sneezing or shaking her head. Shes acting normal. I did notice today that her vent is a little messy. Is this something I should be worried about? I have had chickens for about 5 years and have never had a sick chicken so I am not sure what to do. Thanks for your help and info..

Hello, I could use some help 1 of my chickens is making a honking noise when she is breathing it just started today. She is about 4 or 5 yrs old I think. I got her when she was 1 or 2 and have had here for a few years. She doesn't seem to have anyother symtoms. I did seperate her from the others just incase. She is still laying eggs once in awhile and she is still talking. I call it honking because it doesn't sound conjuested or anything but its kinda loud when she breathes out is when its loud when she breathes in its quite. But shes not couching, sneezing or shaking her head. Shes acting normal. I did notice today that her vent is a little messy. Is this something I should be worried about? I have had chickens for about 5 years and have never had a sick chicken so I am not sure what to do. Thanks for your help and info..
My EE honks when it's hot.
Clean her vent as best as you can and trim back the fluff/feathers with scissors. Check her rear end for external parasites while your at it.
Give her a couple more days seperation and observe her. Then it'll be up to you whether to release her. Also watch her to see if she's eating/drinking normally, normal poops as well. Here's a link to the poop chart:
http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

Thank you for the info. I cleaned her vent saw no signs of parasites and by the end of the day she wasn't honking anymore. I am going to keep her away from the others for another day or 2 just to make sure everything is okay. Her poo is also normal looking.

That is SO weird! I just posted basically the same question today. One of my hens was doing the same thing last night. She kept it up most of the day and now she's fine again. ??? I'd love to know what caused it. Glad yours is feeling better too.

Céleste

Our americauna is making exactly the same sound this evening, but we also have a silver-laced wyandotte who is making similar sounds but also seems to be in more distress. We live in the SF Bay Area and today was warm by our standards, maybe 80F, but not super hot. They are both 14 months old. Celeste, is your chicken okay otherwise?

Sorry - I got a really bad cold and was down and out for awhile. Starting to feel human today. Yes, my chicken's "honking" lasted about 24 hours, maybe a little more. Then she stopped. She was eating and acting completely normally otherwise. I think she might have been making the other chickens nervous though b/c they didn't seem to want to be around her and she seemed a little stressed out by the noises she was making herself, but otherwise, if it hadn't been so regular I might not have even noticed since it was a "normal" chicken sound. It wasn't hot here. It's been around 50 for weeks. I would love to know what caused it. Any ideas? BTW, an interesting aside...mine is an americauna too. Wonder if that's just a coicindence?

Mine chicken was doing this all day today, all of the ladies were super noisy today as well (but 3 of them are just coming into lay which I think explains most of that). Boo is an Americauna as well, maybe they are prone to whatever this is. I made sure she was eating and drinking, thinking maybe she had some food stuck in her throat, she seemed to do fine with that. It has been pretty hot here recently (80F+) for a few weeks, maybe it is related to humidity as it was fairly dry. In any case I am hoping she will be better tomorrow. I am leaving on my honeymoon in a little over a week and I don't want our house/pet sitters to have to deal with anything weird.

Mine has been doing the same thing today! I watched the video and it is pretty much the same noise. It's cool here, around 50 degrees. She makes a loud honk/squeak intermittently as well. The flock seems weirded out by it too. I'm really curious as to what it is. Maybe it is just stuck food in her throat? My girls free range so who knows what they'll end up eating. I'll post her progress.

Back
Top Bottom