My chicken is pecking me ?

Sarasarasara222

Songster
Nov 13, 2017
so this chicken is top chicken and does not peck to harm but to get your attention and most of the time she just wants to be held but even when I hold her she pecks a bit longer and then stops and I’m never sure why, would anyone else know?
Also I would like to know what breed she could be; mother is a Swedish flower hen but this chicken has no crest and not much colour.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    319.8 KB · Views: 47
Maybe she's showing some love :love

Scarlett is the boss around here. I've pecked her back, with a finger, when she's pushy. Not often but sometimes she needs a reminder that she's not really in charge ;)

As long as she's not aggressive and mean l would just cuddle her if that seems to make her happy. Watch your face, they can surprise you.

Scarlett is the boss around here. I've pecked her back, with a finger, when she's pushy. Not often but sometimes she needs a reminder that she's not really in charge ;)

As long as she's not aggressive and mean l would just cuddle her if that seems to make her happy. Watch your face, they can surprise you.
Same here. I have a hen that pecks really hard. I "peck" her and normally she settles down.

I have a similar problem with my black australorpe. My flock is 12 weeks old and she is bossy beyond belief. I can’t enter the coop to let them out without my broom or i get attacked. And she is always leading the charge. The other day i was walking back towards the coop and she led the other chickens directly at me.

I have young girls and am worried this lady may need to go. They have a 12x8 coop and large run space. They also free range the yard a minimum of 3 hrs a day.

Attachments

• BC5F9BA2-61CF-40D5-8EBB-28BC696410C5.jpeg
    BC5F9BA2-61CF-40D5-8EBB-28BC696410C5.jpeg
    705.1 KB · Views: 14
I have a similar problem with my black australorpe. My flock is 12 weeks old and she is bossy beyond belief. I can’t enter the coop to let them out without my broom or i get attacked. And she is always leading the charge. The other day i was walking back towards the coop and she led the other chickens directly at me.

I have young girls and am worried this lady may need to go. They have a 12x8 coop and large run space. They also free range the yard a minimum of 3 hrs a day.
When you say small girls do you mean like children or pullets

That’s awesome. You peck back. Great idea. Made me laugh to

I mean actual children! Lol my oldest is 5 and is a chicken whisperer. Stormy has scratched her, but i think it was a handling issue, and pecked her. She doesn’t chase the girls like she chases me but i am keeping a close eye.

I've noticed my chickens peck at me a whole lot more if I've got colored nail polish on. Especially red. They really go for red nails!

Interesting! My friend had red toes in there the other day and was mauled! I had a speckled one on last week but took it off as an experiment. I thought that was a coincidence.

When she leads a charge though i am a good 50 feet away and she starts coming at me so my feet are not likely the issue when i am not in the coop.

Yup! If I've got French tips or I'm not polished they're not interested. But reds or browns (my 2 favorites) and they must think my nails look like berries or something else that's delicious. And it's funny because they'll keep going at them even though they're hard and they can't get them in their beaks. They are nothing if not persistent little suckers! :barnie

Back
Top Bottom