My chicken is really sleepy, I think it be overeating

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickiyo, Jun 18, 2011.

1. chickiyo

chickiyo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2010
    So I'm really worried, my chicken Ponyo is acting really sleepy today. She never falls asleep like this, she is currently sleeping on my lap. We think she might have overeaten, our cleaner left a sack of sunflower seeds open in the garden and we didn't realize it until we found our other chicken practically wading in it eating her little heart out.

Ponyo is a big eater and we are sure that she ate an incredible amount of sunflower seeds, and I'm scared that the seeds may clogged her system. I know that pumpkin flesh helps aid digestion, should I go get her a can of that. Is there anything else I can do? She is drinking water, and eating a little, not as much as usual. What should I do?? Im a new to chicken owning so I really need some advice
    I'm just giving her lots of water at the moment.

Please please help!!!

2. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    I would isolate her until you make sure it is not something else making her sick...
    ACV (apple cider vinager) Aids in digestion ad it is something you can put in the water for her to drink and not make her eat more.
    Also Molasses acts as a laxative for chickens, and can too be put in the water. (but not at the same time as the ACV)
    Also massage her crop (from top all way down to her vent...with gentile pressure).
    Make sure you watch to see that she is pooping and that it is the right color.
    Best Wishes,
    Laura

3. chickiyo

chickiyo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2010
    Thanks for the reply, is her crop basically her chest? How do I massage it?
    I'll try mixing that laxative in water for her.

4. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    If she has eaten a lot you will be able to see and feel it. It is on HER right side, just below the neck...it feels kind of like a golf ball is in there....and you mean the molasses ??

5. poseygrace

poseygrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Georgia
    Ponyo is a very cute name. I hope she is feeling better. I know I always get sleepy after a big meal, maybe that's all it is. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by