1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Chicken is sick and now his feet and comb are tutning dark red Help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Britania86, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Britania86

Britania86 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2010
    Help I have already posted about my chicken being sick and am not getting any answers but now his comb and feet are turning a dark red color. dose that mean he is not getting enough oxygen? And what should I do.

Chicken:
    Almost a year
    About 8 pounds
    New Hampshire red
    Eating/drinking some
    Wheezing and breathing through his mouth

2. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

How cold is it where you live?[​IMG]

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Comb color is an imperfect indicator of health in chickens. It can be turning dark because he is not getting enough oxygen, but then again maybe not. It sounds like he may have a respiratory infection. You can make him more comfortable using some Rescue Remedy, but you need to get him some Tylan if you suspect an infection.

Be aware that chickens don't get colds. They get respiratory infections that often render the bird a carrier for life if they survive the initial infection. This bird is a pet and alone, so he is not a danger to any other birds, but for any future birds you may bring in his history may present a problem. Just bear that in mind.

Good luck.

4. Britania86

Britania86 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2010
    Ok thank you what do I do ablut him not getting oxygen?
    The weather is just now turning cold I live in Georgia and the days are warm though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by