• Suggestions?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Advice?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

banana_chicken

Hatching
Nov 17, 2019
My roosters got into a fight and now my main rooster is sick and acting strange! He’s not eating or drinking, he is constantly sleeping and he won’t even get up and walk around, I isolated him from the rest of the flock! One of his eyes is also
crusted shut, also he had a runny nose, and he’s been breathing out of his mouth and it sounds like he’s not breathing properly he’s making a weird sound when he breathes! Lastly his breathe has a odor, and he’s has sour crop in the past but is crop is hard very hard and puffed out! PLEASE HELP! I don’t want him to die, I love him!

His condition sounds a bit complicated, so I would not even think about an antibiotic at this point. He sounds injured, but the stress of the fight sounds like he might be having a respiratory disease showing up. He also could have been showing signs of illness, and that may have precipitated the attack. Is he pooping?

Have you dealt with any respiratory disease before in your flock? Does he have any bubbles or gunk in one or both eyes? A bad odor might be sour crop, infectious coryza, or an infection somewhere. Have you examined him closely for any wounds? I would keep him in a quiet pen to himself, and try to get him drinking water with electrolytes and vitamins. Poultry NutriDrench is good to give instead, but get him drinking. Offer some soft mushy food, cooked egg in small amounts. No whole grains or corn scratch though. A little buttermilk in his feed might give some probiotics. Check the crop first thing in the morning to see if it is empty, full, hard, or puffy.

Edited to say that I meant that I would not even think about antibiotics at this point. I left out the word “not.”

Last edited:
His condition sounds a bit complicated, so I would even think about an antibiotic at this point. He sounds injured, but the stress of the fight sounds like he might be having a respiratory disease showing up. He also could have been showing signs of illness, and that may have precipitated the attack. Is he pooping?

Have you dealt with any respiratory disease before in your flock? Does he have any bubbles or gunk in one or both eyes? A bad odor might be sour crop, infectious coryza, or an infection somewhere. Have you examined him closely for any wounds? I would keep him in a quiet pen to himself, and try to get him drinking water with electrolytes and vitamins. Poultry NutriDrench is good to give instead, but get him drinking. Offer some soft mushy food, cooked egg in small amounts. No whole grains or corn scratch though. A little buttermilk in his feed might give some probiotics. Check the crop first thing in the morning to see if it is empty, full, hard, or puffy.

He is pooping, and it’s green! His chest is puffed out and his crop is hard like a tennis ball! I immediately thought respiratory problems so I gave him VetRx, I also bought Vitamins & Electrolytes by Rooster Booster but I haven’t added it to the water yet! Ok cause I have pellets and he hasn’t touched it, so I should cook him up some egg?

Also I haven’t delt with anything like this before.
His condition sounds a bit complicated, so I would even think about an antibiotic at this point. He sounds injured, but the stress of the fight sounds like he might be having a respiratory disease showing up. He also could have been showing signs of illness, and that may have precipitated the attack. Is he pooping?

No I haven’t delt with anything like this before, i’ve also had healthy chickens so this is new to me. Also he doesn’t have any bubbling of the eyes! He has some dry blood on his head but no open wounds that I can see!

Since his crop is large and hard I would work on trying to get that to move before offering him more to eat. Get some fluids in him, and do some gentle crop massaging to try to break up what is already in the crop and get it to move. Adding more food to a back up isn't going to help. I would concentrate on fluids for now. A bit of coconut oil may also help to loosen it up, you can freeze it and break it into pieces to give him.

Since his crop is large and hard I would work on trying to get that to move before offering him more to eat. Get some fluids in him, and do some gentle crop massaging to try to break up what is already in the crop and get it to move. Adding more food to a back up isn't going to help. I would concentrate on fluids for now. A bit of coconut oil may also help to loosen it up, you can freeze it and break it into pieces to give him.

I gave him the vitamin water, and he drank some of it each is good because before he didn’t drink anything. Also is there a certain way I should massage it, also when would I be able to give him food again?

Back
Top Bottom