My chicken is sick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bordercollie, Jan 16, 2010.

1. bordercollie

bordercollie New Egg

Jan 16, 2010
    My chicken has been hunched for a while and i didnt think anything of it until now. I watched her today and she walks a few steps then rests her head on her back and sleeps. her comb is paler and smaller than the other chickens. At times she gets a burst of energy like going after some bread this am. Does anyone have any ideas. I looked at her bottom its clean, no deformities anywhere. please help

2. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    has she been wormed?

3. bordercollie

bordercollie New Egg

Jan 16, 2010
    hi

No she hasnt. Yes i will worm them, thanks. she is 9mths old. the others are fine just she out of sorts? Thanks for your reply

4. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    For starters this is what I do for any off looking chicken:
    I would remove/isolate her in warm location (dog kennel in the house). Give Electrolytes & AVC (organic Apple Cider Vinegar) 1 teaspoon per Quart of water and watch her. With her isolated you can tell what her poop looks like, and keep track of her intake of food & water. You can also give 3-4 drops PolyViSol (non iron) either by beak daily. Check her for Lice and mites.
    Check her Crop first thing in the morning before feeding her to make sure it is emptying correctly.

5. bordercollie

bordercollie New Egg

Jan 16, 2010
    hi thank you for the info. I brought her in last night and gave her the apple cider. shes has an appetite and loves the water. This morning im hoping shell lay an egg.

no sign of bugs.

ill just watch her for while.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by