My chicken is sitting on my duck eggs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mcbirdlady, Oct 26, 2011.

1. mcbirdlady

mcbirdlady Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2011
    My duck started laying eggs. I was picking them up but my chicken found some in a corner and is sitting on them. they are about 14 days along. do i let my chicken finish hatching them do i put them in my incubater. HELP WHAT DO I DO????[​IMG]

2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Do you want any ducklings? If so, then she can hatch them. I don't own an incubator but I guess you could put them in the incubator but I probably wouldn't as though they are 14 days into the incubating stage. My chickens have hatched duck eggs before.

3. coonhoundmama87

coonhoundmama87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2011
    Wisconsin
    I have lots of 100% free range birds so I have issues like this all the time! I have to check my muscovy nests for chicken eggs. I've never had a chicken hatch duck eggs but I'm sure it will be just fine. She more than likely will stay on them the whole time and think they are her babies. I see no problem with leaving them alone, infact, it's what I would do. My husbands dad used to have these issues as well from what I'm told. He once had a duck hatch chickens and didn't think anything of it until the duck went to lead her babies to the pond. Yup, didn't end well! But since this is the other way around I can't see that being a problem.

4. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  5. mcbirdlady

Apr 26, 2011
    Thank you. I have 2 chickens that share the sitting together. Yep both on the same nest at the same time. Well I will block them off so the others wont bother them. now one of the eggs had a very large air sack when i candled them, is that not enough moisture? should i worry about that the others look great.

6. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Awww, let her hatch them. Maybe you will have some duckens [​IMG]

7. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:[​IMG]

8. mcbirdlady

Apr 26, 2011
    It will be fun to see the baby ducks following the chicken around. thank you. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by