My Chicken is Sleepy

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by travhal, Nov 9, 2011.

1. travhal

travhal Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2011
    My chicken has been sleeping for the past 2 or 3 days, it has no food in its crop, and the only way to get my hen to eat or drink is if i consistently wake her up every 10 seconds!!! It has also been staying in the corner of the chicken shack. I separated it from a roster that keeps on jumping her, so she can have more peace. Does anyone know what to do, or what is causing her to sleep all day without eating or drinking?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    First of all, [​IMG] I'm glad you joined us, but sorry you have a hen that is obviously not feeling well.

I'm going to ask the mods to move this post from the Chicken Behaviors section to the Emergency/Diseases section so that it gets the right attention.

Next, if you could answer the following questions that are found in the Emergencies section, that would probably bring you more appropriate help as well. Good luck!

POSTING GUIDELINES for Emergencies / Diseases and Cures.

Please help us to help you.
    When you need to post in the "Emergencies / Diseases and Cures" section please make the title of your thread concise and specific. For example, to title a thread "HELP" or "URGENT" or "EMERGENCY", etc., is not helpful for us or for you. Nor is telling us "my hen is sick, what should I do?" A good example of a new thread subject: "Chicken got into the pool-barely breathing! Help!"

Off topic posts will be moved, with an explanation, to an area better suited to that post.

Give us the following information. The more you tell us, the better we will be able to help you.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
    2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

Remember that we are not veterinarians. We help based on our own research and experiences.
    We cannot monitor the board 24/7, and therefore do not guarantee we can always help, much as we would wish to.
    We should never be a replacement if real medical attention is required.
    If your situation seems to require a trip to the vet, please do so. It is always a good idea to know of an avian vet in your area in case your situation is bad enough that we cannot help. We encourage you to visit the Reference Forum and read up there before you need the information.

Some important links to read:

Links to disease symptoms and information
    Chicken Anatomy
    Friendly Reminder-PLEASE Quarantine Newly Purchased Birds!

Thank you!

The BYC Staff

3. travhal

Nov 9, 2011
    The chicken is an isa brown 1 1/2 year old hen.
    The hen sleeps all day and puts it's head into it feathers.
    The hen has been sick or acting this way for about 2 or 3 days.
    One other chicken seems to sleep alot but has a full crop and is hyper when when it is awake.
    There is no bleeding or broken bones. It has not experience any trauma. I just got this hen 2 weeks ago from a lady and was healthy when i bought the hen.
    The hen only eats for 10 seconds after being woken up and then goes back to sleep. It currently has no food in it crop
    I have not looked to closely to the poo but it looks normal.
    I was hoping to treat the chicken myself.
    I have a 8 foot by 12 foot building with 15 other hens in it and 2 roosters, i am currently using wheat straw as bedding.

4. Yay Chicks!

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I'm not sure I can help, but I have a few more questions. Was she quarantined for any amount of time from the rest of your flock when you got her? You may want to do that now to avoid anything infectious being transferred to the rest of your flock. Has she layed eggs since you brought her home? (She may not have simply due to the stress of moving). Does she seem egg bound? Have you checked her over for mites and or lice?

Sorry for all the questions. Just trying to help narrow things down.

Edited to ask if you have tried offering her some super yummy food that she may not be able to resist, such as boiled egg, yogurt, meal worms...something like that?

5. travhal

Nov 9, 2011
    I now have her in a cage with fresh food and water for about an hour now. She has no lice or mites, she and the other hen i have bought from the lady have just stared molting a day before i picked them up (about 2 weeks ago) one of the hens i got from the lady have stared laying yesterday. I gave her some nice fresh food with chick starter in it (My hens are always trying to steal the chicks food when ever i open the door. The hen has just stared eating with out my help as soon as i added the chick starter.

6. Yay Chicks!

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I'm glad to hear she is eating something. Chick starter has extra protein in it, correct? Extra protein is really helpful with the molting. I'm sorry that I can't tell you what is wrong. Hopefully, with the added info, someone will come along and be able to be more helpful.

7. travhal

Nov 9, 2011
    Yay Chicks! :

I'm glad to hear she is eating something. Chick starter has extra protein in it, correct? Extra protein is really helpful with the molting. I'm sorry that I can't tell you what is wrong. Hopefully, with the added info, someone will come along and be able to be more helpful.

Thanks for all of your help. Yes chick starter has a little bit more protein (i don't know how much).​

8. Jakenhoss

Jakenhoss Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I am sorry to hear about your chick. If she was okay when you brought her home, it might be the rooster that you had in with her.
    I adopted a white Wyandotte 9 months ago and she cried all day, so I bought her 3 babies last March to keep her company. (I did not put her with my other chickens when I got her because she had some serious medical problems). She cheered up considerably when I finally put the babies in the coop with her. Well now I have found out that the Buff Orpington I bought is a roo and is on my poor Lucie all day long. every chance he gets. My Lucie is now back to being depressed and not eating. She sleeps a lot while still keeping a eye on the roo. (She only has site in one eye.) I decided to split the pen with chicken wire and have the roo and the other two hens (Cochins) with the roo. Lucie is back to eating and has more energy than she has had and I believe is genuinely happier without the roo in the pen with her. So to make my long story longer, It might be the roo was just wearing her out literally. I know a rooster will kill trying to mate a hen given the chance.

9. travhal

Nov 9, 2011
    Quote:I am sorry to hear about your chick. If she was okay when you brought her home, it might be the rooster that you had in with her.
    I adopted a white Wyandotte 9 months ago and she cried all day, so I bought her 3 babies last March to keep her company. (I did not put her with my other chickens when I got her because she had some serious medical problems). She cheered up considerably when I finally put the babies in the coop with her. Well now I have found out that the Buff Orpington I bought is a roo and is on my poor Lucie all day long. every chance he gets. My Lucie is now back to being depressed and not eating. She sleeps a lot while still keeping a eye on the roo. (She only has site in one eye.) I decided to split the pen with chicken wire and have the roo and the other two hens (Cochins) with the roo. Lucie is back to eating and has more energy than she has had and I believe is genuinely happier without the roo in the pen with her. So to make my long story longer, It might be the roo was just wearing her out literally. I know a rooster will kill trying to mate a hen given the chance.

My hen is now eating when i put her in the pen, The rooster is only 20 weeks old and he is jumping the hens like there is no tomorrow. The other hens are doing fine, but the hen that is sleepy has no way of running away.

10. Jakenhoss

Jakenhoss Chillin' With My Peeps

My hen is now eating when i put her in the pen, The rooster is only 20 weeks old and he is jumping the hens like there is no tomorrow. The other hens are doing fine, but the hen that is sleepy has no way of running away.

I am glad to hear that your girl is eating good now. I had to fence my hen off from the rooster. She is doing fine away from him. The irony is that I bought the babies to keep her company and now she is by herself once again. But she is a lot happier with out the roo. I might have to find a good home for the roo. I am waiting for the other two new girls to start laying which should be any day now. maybe once he notices them he will leave my poor Lucie alone some. She hasn't laid a egg since he has been jumping on her either. She has the penguin syndrome so he isn't doing anything to her except hurting her when he stands on her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by